kokatat vs. IR - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2011   #1

The Bitterroot, Montana
kokatat vs. IR

So, I've been saving for a dry suit for this spring. I have only paddled in a dry top and board shorts up to this point and get a bit cold. My mind was made up on Kokatat untill I saw the double D. I have been very happy with my IR dry top but have always heard Kok makes the best suits on the market. Does anyone have some unbiased field reviews to share? I would like to hear from someone that has tried one and not just someone who sells them. Only time will tell on durability but anyone who has had good or bad luck with the non Gore material speak up.

montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011   #2

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I can't speak to IR vs. Kokatat, but I can speak to my experience with Palm and their Stikine suit. Their quality wasn't there, and the customer service was just miserable. On the other hand, I haven't met anyone with a bad Kokatat experience.

As for the material, the gore-tex just feels so much lighter and more fluid than the material that Palm uses. It is a very comfortable place to spend an afternoon - and being in the NW, I use the suit every weekend for 10 months.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #3

On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I have all the love in the world for the IR guys and their products. But my 1st choice for drytop/suit is Kokatat. Top notch quality product and customer service.
bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I've never used an IR product, but last summer I bought the Kokatat Tropos material Helix top (Kokatat Watersports Wear - Helix Dry Top) and it's been great. After a few months it felt like I was getting unreasonably wet. So I sent to to them and they fixed it free of charge. (apparently the tape under the arm wasn't sealed correctley) It has worked great ever since.
when I was looking for my new top I really didn't even consider any other brand because i had been using a Kokatat since I started that my dad bought. It's over 15 years old and still kept my warm.
One more thing that i think is sometimes overlooked is that I would make sure the part of the double tunnel that is touching your body is cinched up. When mine is it works way better. Hope this helps.
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #5

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
My Kokotat drysuit had a minor tape defect that I didn't realize until I was fully submerged. I called customer service and was told to send it in for a fix (or replacement if needed). I was hesitant as I had planned on taking a WRT class the very next week. I was assured it would be back in time. So I sent it in asap. They did a fix and I got it back in time for my class!!!

One week from report to fixed and returned free of charge. I have never experienced such great customer service before.

I also have a Breeze splash jacket by Kokotat- love that one too.

Get a Kokotat- you can't go wrong.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #6

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
I got a IR Double D suite last year. It has been great! It's comfortable, dry and I love the relief zipper. I had an NRS extreme before this and it is way more comfortable and dryer. With the IR union suite on it is super warm and dry. I'd give it two thumbs up!
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #7

The Bitterroot, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterholcombe View Post
I got a IR Double D suite last year. It has been great! It's comfortable, dry and I love the relief zipper. I had an NRS extreme before this and it is way more comfortable and dryer. With the IR union suite on it is super warm and dry. I'd give it two thumbs up!
Sorry, due to phrasing I didn't quite catch witch one is dryer. The IR?
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011   #8

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Sorry, the IR is dry and wonderful. NRS was dry on the inside but let's lots of water in the boat and isn't near as good a fit as the IR (for me).
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #9

Portland, OR, Eternal Traveler
Paddling Since: 2002
The 4-layer Entrant fabric that IR is using now is bomber. I've had my suit for nearly 2 years now, paddling at least 2x a week in off season and every day in the summer (in the NW where we use drysuits nearly all year). Its still completely dry. I just got it back from repairs and they barely had to do anything, just switch me to the rubber booties. I've used kokatat dry tops, but not for very long. Comfort issues. IR gear has always been more comfortable in my opinion and they are really great to work with if you have any problems with your purchase. Good luck! Either way...getting a drysuit is going to open up SO many paddling options for you! Its a great super-hero feeling of staying warm!
SuKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
A couple of my friends bought the Kokotat Tropos drysuits last season, got lots of river days in them, and have nothing but good things to say. So I am saving for one for this season too.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote