Kokatat Men's Tropos 3 Drysuit - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-17-2012   #1

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Kokatat Men's Tropos 3 Drysuit

With the drysuit threads I've read lately I found this one by Kokatat. Anyone have experience with this Kokatat dry suit? Price seems good for a Kokatat. Any cons or reasons to stay away from this drysuit. Thanks everyone. Kokatat Men's Tropos 3 Swift Entry Drysuit at NRSweb.com

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012   #2

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Tropos material isn't as insulating (read as warm) as Gortex and the like. I have the Tropos drytop and dry bibs, I stay dry but need an extra layer of warmth compared to those wearing Gortex.

As it is likely you have some extra layers anyway you would still be saving money over the full Gortex drysuits.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I use the Kokatat Super Nova paddling suit, which is a two layer Tropos fabric. The suit you are looking at is three layer, which might be a little more insulating. Tropos is Kokatat's waterproof/breathable fabric that's a step down from their Gortex. I have used my Super Nova with a polypro layer underneath, and found it acceptably warm & breathable for rafting. The big difference I can see in the suit you are looking at is that it doesn't have attached booties, just latex ankle gaskets. I like my attached breathable booties with either wool socks or neoprene. I would highly suggest talking with the folks at kayak academy (www.kayakacademy.com). They are super knowledgable about all things Kokatat & drysuit.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012   #4

North Denver, Colorado
Ya I think booties on the suit would be nice and then some good footwear. The super nova has a relief zipper and the tropos 3 does not. Super nova seems like a good suit thanks guys for info.
Old 01-17-2012   #5

North Denver, Colorado
Cataraft girl thanks for the link. Kayak academy writes that the Supernova is a drysuit except water will come in through the neoprene neck when swimming. The trops 3 is a "true" drysuit with a latex neck so no water leaks in. The catch is the tropos 3 doesn't have booties but the Super nova does.
How much water comes in while swimming in the Super Nova? Also how is the comfort difference between the neoprene and latex neck?
Old 01-17-2012   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Not a ton of water comes in if you have the neoprene snugged up. Maybe a couple teaspoons worth in an average rapid swim situation. A prolonged beat-down swim might be slightly more.....but still a big advantage over not having the suit. I consider my Super Nova a big step up from the paddle pants and lower end paddle jacket I used to wear for rafting.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #7

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I have the women's version of that suit. It's served me well for 3 and a half years. It looks new still and works well at keepig me dry (I wear a down jacket under it when it's really cold). That being said- I have come to hate the not having booties or a relief zipper. I'd say it's a good enty level drysuit.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #8

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
With a snug neoprene neck gasket (punch through, non adjustable collar) you're going to take on some water in a swim, but not that much as long as the gasket is snug fitting. I used several different semi-drytops with neoprene neck gasket for the last 8 plus years and they are (in my opinion) much more comfortable than a latex neck gasket.

As for how much water - not that much, but it depends on how much you swim, how long you swim, and what type of water you're swimming through. I used the tops mentioned above for kayaking and the neck gasket would take on water down the back of the neck when doing rolls, and take on water through the front of the gasket when punching through waves and holes where I'd take a hard shot of water to the front.

When you flex your neck muscles the neoprene gasket doesn't retain as tight of a seal as does the latex gasket, allowing in the water.

After several hours of kayaking and many rolls, the chest area and back would be wet at least mid way down my chest/back, sometimes further. During summer boating this wasn't an issue, but during spring and fall boating in cold water and cold weather, and/or for long stretches this did not help me stay warm and comfortable.

I upgraded to a latex neck gasket drytop this past spring and while I still prefer the comfort of a neoprene gasket, I can deal with the latex gasket (neck burn/chaffing) in order to stay dry/warm during early spring/late fall runs.

In the end - depending on when, where, and what you are rafting the SuperNova may be just fine for what you do. I wouldn't hesitate to wear one on most of the rafting trips I do.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #9

North Denver, Colorado
Kayak Academy rocks, talked to them on the phone, they know their gear and are really cool. They said they would send me out a dry suit before I purchase one to see how it fits and how I like it! So what I learned today Think I'll go with the neoprene neck gasket, If i were in a kayak probably latex gasket. Thanks for the info, Nick
Old 01-17-2012   #10

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Yeah they know their stuff. Funny thing is they hadn't heard of this site until I was in their shop in December and mentioned it. Nice people who are willing to go the extra mile to make sure you're getting what you really need. Now that's customer service!
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote