Kokatat Maximus Centurion - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2015   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Kokatat Maximus Centurion

Anyone have the new Kokatat Maximus Centurion?

I tried one on, and fell in love with the mobility it seems to afford, and really liked the shoulder adjustments straps, and nice pockets. Oh and extra floatation. One chief complaint...

the Medium/Large fits perfect in street clothes, but I max out the adjustment so I know it will not be ideal with base layers and dry suit on.

The XL/XXL fits really well, EXCEPT that the adjustment straps are nearly pulled to their max. The straps hang loose and while I doubt they pose a significant entrapment hazard or anything, it kinda makes me look like I'm wearing a hand-me-down from my big brother or something.

Seems like they need a size in the middle...maybe a Large/XL.

So my question is, anyone have experience with Kokatat making customizations to a PFD? Yes, I can trim the straps and melt the ends or something. But if I'm paying $240 for a PFD, I want the straps to look nice and finished; and I don't sew. Ever.

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015   #2

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
I tuck the straps in on my XL/XXL Maximus. It is sucky they don't have a L/XL but the fit of the bigger one is great. I wouldn't melt the straps because no doubt the buckle will fall off at some point

I did order a belly pocket though as the storage on a plain Maximus sucks ass...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #3

Portland, Oregon
All of the centurion's that I've seen come with the belly pocket....

are you talking about the Maximus Prime maybe?
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015   #4

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
There is three versions of it. The Maximus, Maximus Prime(tow belt compatible) and the Centurion. All same or similar construction of the actual vest panels/straps. I have the plain version with custom belt straps added to the sides and back of vest. The two older versions have only a small chest pocket.

Old 04-08-2015   #5

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman987 View Post
There is three versions of it. The Maximus, Maximus Prime(tow belt compatible) and the Centurion. All same or similar construction of the actual vest panels/straps. I have the plain version with custom belt straps added to the sides and back of vest. The two older versions have only a small chest pocket.

Yea, I'm aware of the models, but all centurions come with the belly pocket. Just a point of clarity.

The old versions also didn't adjust the shoulder straps on the belly either, which is why I didn't' consider them.

Sounds like I'll just have to deal with my long straps, or wear my Descent for another season or two until Kokatat comes around on this. I think I'll send them an email...can't hurt.
Old 04-08-2015   #6

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Looks like shoulder straps on the belly to me or does the new centurion have the buckles below the belly pocket? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1428552214.164348.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	9670

Old 04-08-2015   #7

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman987 View Post
Looks like shoulder straps on the belly to me or does the new centurion have the buckles below the belly pocket? Attachment 9670

Looks like you are right, maybe I was trying on a prototype or something? I clearly remember thinking that was my main issue with the PFD, and why I bought a descent.
Old 04-09-2015   #8

x, x
Paddling Since: x
you could have a local seamstress cut and resew your straps, shouldnt be more than 20$

I dont think kokatat will touch it, and im sure they wont be making another size.

It is always a good idea to send them an email, and see if others have addressed the problem in sizing as well, then you will see another size option.

good luck
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #9

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Just wrap the excess webbing around itself, or the cam buckle that is tightening it if there is no webbing slack at all. I do this with my Astral PFDs and it works great.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #10

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
you could have a local seamstress cut and resew your straps, shouldnt be more than 20$

I dont think kokatat will touch it, and im sure they wont be making another size.

It is always a good idea to send them an email, and see if others have addressed the problem in sizing as well, then you will see another size option.

good luck
Actually I started with a couple of seamstress' and they won't touch safety gear with a 10 foot pole. One of them is even a kayaker and wont' touch them. Can't say I blame them.