Kitchen/Stove gear - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2009   #1

Seattle, Washington
Kitchen/Stove gear

So I'm working on getting my new 12' self bailer dialed in for lightweight overnighters. Trips will range from 3 day Illinois trips to a week on the MF Salmon.

For those trips where I'm the gear support boat, I'd like to find a good camp stove. Right now, I've got the mammoth old school Coleman white gas 2 burner beast. Love it, but it's too big to pack well on the boat.

When self supporting in the kayak, I use an MSR pocket rocket, which needs to be retired as it just doesn't do well when cooking. Too much of a hot spot on the pans, and that makes cleanup a bear. Also don't like all the waste that comes with canister systems.

Anyone got any recommendations? Ideally, I'd like to get a 2 burner stove that could go in a small seal line zip duffle and provide good simmer control and solid base for cooking, unlike the canister stoves.

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009   #2
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I've accumulated more than a dozen stoves over the years, and I like my Brinkmann Stainless Steel 2 burner the best for a small one. Similar surface area to your Coleman, half as thick, uses 1# propane or you can invest in a sweet little refillable 5 pounder. Much more powerful than Coleman or Century, cleans easily, packs nice, is stable. Why do you want to put it in a duffle or dry bag, though? It even has a piezo 'lectric starter, which is nice, but always bring a backup.
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #3
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I just picked up this stove from Coleman a few months ago and I love it! The only down side is that if it's windy, you will have to put a tin foil barrier up.

Coleman Fold 'N Go Two Burner Stove at REI.com

It's easy to clean and it fits anywhere. I've even strapped it down and it got wet and still fired right up. I got it for about $70 from Campmor I think.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
These look interesting, and you could run one or two off a 5lb propane tank.

Volcano II with Propane Attachment Kit*::*Volcano II Cook Stove*::*Volcano 2 Corporation

At 26 pounds apiece they're not that light, but you're looking at size, not weight, right? The key is they're versatile - they can be used as charcoal grills & fire pans,if you have a welding blanket. But they're expensive....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #5

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprishmael View Post
I've accumulated more than a dozen stoves over the years, and I like my Brinkmann Stainless Steel 2 burner the best for a small one. Similar surface area to your Coleman, half as thick, uses 1# propane or you can invest in a sweet little refillable 5 pounder. Much more powerful than Coleman or Century, cleans easily, packs nice, is stable. Why do you want to put it in a duffle or dry bag, though? It even has a piezo 'lectric starter, which is nice, but always bring a backup.

My experience with the coleman stoves is that they last longer if protected a little. The drybag just gives it a little water and abrasion protection. Keeps sand out too.

This looks really similar to the coleman propane stove. I always found the cooking grate a real pain, having to light it and re seat it to raise and lower the wind shields. Is this Brinkmann similar, or better in that regard?
Old 05-21-2009   #6
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
My experience with the coleman stoves is that they last longer if protected a little. The drybag just gives it a little water and abrasion protection. Keeps sand out too.

This looks really similar to the coleman propane stove. I always found the cooking grate a real pain, having to light it and re seat it to raise and lower the wind shields. Is this Brinkmann similar, or better in that regard?
No re-seating of the grate required. Lift it up if you want to clean it, otherwise, it just sits there. Its pretty well protected just as it is. I've got 3 of this model, one sits in my rafting kitchen box, well protected. One is in my ice-fishing trailer, moderately protected. The 3rd one sits in the bilge of my sailboat, totally unprotected and gets used most weekends in a sandy environment- no problem with dirt, grit, etc. Plus, they're cheap! I've paid as much as $35 at Walmart, as little as $20 at the end of the summer at Lowe's. If you want a big stove, take a look at Brinkmann's big 2 burner. That's the workhorse for my rafting trips. I usually have 10-16 people along, I run it off a 20# tank, it weighs 55 pounds. If you can handle that much weight and you're cooking for a big group, I think it's wonderful!
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #7

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
For light weight and superb performance, try the Coleman Exponent Xtreme 2-burner folding stove.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman stove.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	1481

Besides the light weight, it folds relatively flat and uses a long-lasting cartridge that will actually burn hot right to the end in sub-freezing temps. I tested lots of stoves for gear reviews, and this was by far the best for light river trips (with a windscreen: note anchoring setup).

Brilliant design. I hope they haven't discontinued the thing. Here's a better pic.

It's actually called the Exponent Xpedition, and costs $84.95. Also great for winter camping.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #8

Seattle, Washington
Chip,

Not sure I'm finding that stove. is this the one? Coleman Exponent Xpedition Camp Stove

Anyone have any experience with that 2 burner folding partner stove? How do you get prices on Partner stuff?

-b
Old 05-21-2009   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Partner Steel = Expensive, but they are bomber.

I've been dreaming of a 6 burner...

Here is some pricing info:
Camping Equipment Kitchen / Cooking Partner Stoves - River Connection

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #10

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
Chip,

Not sure I'm finding that stove. is this the one? Coleman Exponent Xpedition Camp Stove

Anyone have any experience with that 2 burner folding partner stove? How do you get prices on Partner stuff?

-b
That's it. I Googled the name and found one $5 cheaper. The Partner stove is great, rugged, and heavy as shit. Particularly including the steel propane tank.

You said lightweight. Partner ain't.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote