Kitchen Setup Suggestions - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-31-2010   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Kitchen Setup Suggestions

So I am finally going to invest into a real kitchen setup. I am looking for the folding kitchen, new stove, cook wear. misc. what else? i know lots, never ending. BUT, any suggestions on possibly the whole setup for sale. or cheaper ways to build it to make it happen. Thanks everyone.************more snow, more water!

benjicross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010   #2

get a partner stove
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #3

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Thrift store for silverware and utencils. Plastic, stackable plates and bowls. Plastic hamper rubbermaid bag for drying.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010   #4
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
The Coleman fold-n-go stove is way cheaper than the partner, compact, and still puts off 10,000 BTUs. Someday I want a partner stove, but they are expensive and the Coleman works great even when it gets wet and fits well in my kitchen box.

Coleman - Fold N Go Propane InstaStart Stove -

Instead of a folding kitchen, consider a kitchen drybox- it carries everything on the boat and has legs to transform it into a table/cabinet at camp. Not cheap, but very efficient. I had mine made by a metal works company in GJ, but I think Retretec makes them, too.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #5

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
GSI Pinnacle basecamper -large Cookware set ($80 if you search online) all teflon coated , stackable and beautiful.

2 larger pots (5liter and 3.5 liter) with small fry pan. I include another larger 12" fry pan in my set.

i also have an incredible aluminium Kitchen box, would not trade it for the world.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I'll throw in this one thing, we picked them up for car camping and love them for our river kitchen because they are so compact.

Amazon.com: Progressive International 5 Quart Collapsible Bowl, Blue and White: Kitchen & Dining
Old 02-01-2010   #7

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Whats for dinner? I like four burners so I carry two, 2 burner small coleman stoves (I like to get everything going at once, coffee, bacon, eggs, potatoes, etc.). Dutch Oven, steel griddle for open fire or use on stove, coffee pot, fire grate. I would start here and add on which ever way fits your cooking style.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I like the Seattle Sports Super Sinks for my dish line, they have a metal ring around them to keep them open but they collapse down nice and small for storage.

Super Sink II - Water Storage - Seattle Sports Company

I'll second that collapse able strainer.

A decent set of kitchen knives are an essential, more people cut themselves in the kitchen due to dull knives than anything else other than maybe being too drunk.

A killer spice box is a must.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I am a fan of pre-cooking and using food saver type sealed bags - or using doubled up freezer bags. I can cook faster and cleaner in my home than on the river. This also means less dishes and time spent cooking and cleaning while on the river. The heat sealed bags can be dropped in boiling water to re-heat. I also like things like pre-made breakfast burritos, wrapped in foil and steamed to re-heat. Then again it is amazing what you can cook in a well equipped river kitchen.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginrivers View Post
I like the Seattle Sports Super Sinks for my dish line, they have a metal ring around them to keep them open but they collapse down nice and small for storage.

Super Sink II - Water Storage - Seattle Sports Company
Do those every self-collapse on you when using hot water? We have some of their square ones, and while I can deal with their "personality", others on trips seem to hit a brick wall. I love collapsible, and might have to check out those round ones, even though they're a bit spendy comparatively.