Kitchen Project - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-30-2011   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Kitchen Project

I got a new rig and wanted a nice kitchen setup, but just couldn't justify the cost of a kitchen box with legs as the box that came with the rig was brand new and perfectly sized. So, I went to work on a winter project!

I already had a folding table that always became a mess at camp. So, I set the box on it and built a hinged platform for my stove to sit on that allows for additional, heat resistent table space to the right, yet access to the inside of the box -It fits perfectly inside the cavity on the lid of my box. Then, I used the frame tab on the side of my box, an old adjustable trecking pole, nut-serts, 1/2 ply, and knobs to make a smaller side table. The whole thing, with the exception of the aluminum folding table, stores perfectly inside the box. Plenty sturdy, super light, and cheap - Total cost came in around $40, including finish.

Maybe this'll inspire someone over to tinker this winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kit 1.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	4177   Click image for larger version

Name:	kit 2.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	4178  

Name:	kit 3.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	4179   Click image for larger version

Name:	kit 4.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	4180  

Name:	kit 5.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	4181   Click image for larger version

Name:	kit 6.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	4182  

Name:	kit 7.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	4183  

clinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011   #2

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I definitely like the sidecar table, and the use of the collapsible table(that are way too short for me). I only see 2 downsides. 1. With our normal crew, inevitably, the kitchen area turns into a big mess. I could see food or hot liquids accidentally making their way to the bottom of the dry box. 2. I just know that as soon as I got the grill setup with some steaks burning or a pan full of bacon grease.... someones gonna need something still at the bottom of the box.

Definitely very good self engineering, but probably would last 1 trip for me before I reverted back to old practices.
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #3

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
I definitely like the sidecar table, and the use of the collapsible table(that are way too short for me). I only see 2 downsides. 1. With our normal crew, inevitably, the kitchen area turns into a big mess. I could see food or hot liquids accidentally making their way to the bottom of the dry box. 2. I just know that as soon as I got the grill setup with some steaks burning or a pan full of bacon grease.... someones gonna need something still at the bottom of the box.

Definitely very good self engineering, but probably would last 1 trip for me before I reverted back to old practices.
Thought of both!

1. The platform on top has stoppers that prevent it from shifting and creating a gap, and they rest on a secondary lip on the box that is wrapped in rubber. Minimal chance for problems there.

2. Everything you see out is everything that lives in the box. It all comes out when I get to camp. On the off chance that something is in there, I think most people will find it pretty easy to move a small item to open the hinged portion, which allows access to every inch of the box’s interior.

It's perfect for my style, habits and needs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Nice. Looks like you put a lot of thought into this project and made good use of space and otherwise wasted camp items (the fold table). I like the hinged access port with the metal on top, and I see that you found a handy place for your cutting board. I love an organized kitchen. Good work, especially for $40.
I love to spend the winter tinkering with boating gear.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #5
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
nice! another leg option is to get the adjustable roll-a-table legs from camptime, which I have used to make a table, they can screw into standards sized t-nuts. they are only $25 for 4 legs too. They work the best where you can get them to sink down in the sand or dirt a bit.
Roll-A-Table
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #6

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
nice! another leg option is to get the adjustable roll-a-table legs from camptime, which I have used to make a table, they can screw into standards sized t-nuts. they are only $25 for 4 legs too. They work the best where you can get them to sink down in the sand or dirt a bit.
Roll-A-Table
It was your post on your table that inspired the project, shappattack! I really wanted to use those camptime legs, but I was trying to see how low I could keep the cost. I spent a lot of time thinking about a leg solution - 2 weeks later in dawned on me that I had those poles rotting in a box. Nobody's going to be dancing on it, but it's plenty sturdy for a cocktail table.
Old 11-30-2011   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Nice, PS, we are moving to Forest Grove the end of this year, getting back down to the state of my birth and long time residence.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #8

Portland, Oregon
Good deal! I live and work in the burbs. Shoot me a message if you're down for some winter boating!
Old 11-30-2011   #9
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Nice set up. I'm still convinced I don't really want to haul the entire drybox/kitchen box off the boat every night though, and instead opt for a table and stove stand and just haul primary kitchen stuff in a york-pack then pull the stove, dutch ovens and whatever else I need out of the drybox each night, leaving the box on the boat. Seems like a lot less heavy-lifting.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #10

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
I like it a well thought out kitchen. The major disadvantage I see is you lose table space and it seems like you can never have too much of that. Why not just set the box on the ground and use the table...well as a table? The more you use that kitchen the more people will suggest items that need to be added and that box will be completely full. Kind of a hassle completely loading and unloading it every day imho.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote