kitchen box cookware suggestions - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2009   #1

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
kitchen box cookware suggestions

Was wondering what is the best deal for nested cookware for river trips. For the past 10 years i just threw rndom older pots and pans in my kitchenbox. Now that i actually make a little cash.....whats the hot item for the organized camper.

i see the GSI stuff looks pretty decent....but is it big enough for larger 10 peoples trips?? probably need at least a 4 QT pot for pasta and a big fry pan for eggs.

thanks for any advice !

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
First thing is to ditch all the old aluminum cookware and go stainless......especially the coffee pot.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #3
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
aside from the weight you cant go wrong with cast iron frypans....
NoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
you cant go wrong with cast iron frypans....
Except that you have to make sure whoever's on dish duty doesn't scrub off the seasoning, that it doesn't get wet and rust, etc.

If you're thinking about a DO, get the anodized aluminum one. You'll be glad you did every time you unload and load back up, or just pick it up, for that matter.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #5

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ditto on the aluminum dutch oven. I have an ancient cast iron unit, and on my last trip one of the couples brought an aluminum one for some killer enchiladas. My iron dutch oven will migrate further into the dusty corner of the attic...
Old 07-28-2009   #6
EZ

Cooking in Aluminum?

How do y'all feel about cooking in aluminum? Isn't / Wasn't there something about cooking in aluminum leading to increased aluminum in the brain and increased Alzheimer's? Possibly just an urban legend or whatever.

Still, I have concerns about cooking in Al, especially in long exposure, soak it up sort of cooking like in a DO. Aluminum is a reactive, somewhat mobile metal. Maybe the anodizing helps prevent this?

Anybody know anything solid about this?
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #7

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Here's some interesting info...

Ask TreeHugger: Is Aluminum Cookware Bad For You? : TreeHugger
Old 07-28-2009   #8

Sandy, Utah
MSR makes some great anodized/teflon coated aluminum pots of various sizes that nest for easy storage and are light weight. They have a set with a strainer lid, which would be great to have for pasta. I'll give the anodized aluminum dutch ovens a huge thumbs up. We use them constantly. The anodized surface makes them easy to clean. We always carry a 12in & 10in dutch (sometimes 2 of each) on every trip. The 10in doesn't have feet, so it works great on the stove top. The two dutch ovens nest easily for transport. The other thing we use is a griddle as opposed to a fry pan. Fits better on the stove than the round fry pan. Just a personal preference thing. Another trick I've learned from my river guru friend is to carry napkins instead of paper towels. Keep a stash in a ziplock bag. Seems like everyone is grabbing the paper towel roll with messy hands, and the whole roll winds up a mess. With napkins you take one at a time. Wipe a spill, wipe your hands, blow your nose, whatever, without ruining the whole roll. A kitchen box set-up is such an individual thing, and seems to take some time to fine tune it to your liking. But it's so much fun experimenting.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #9

Avon, Colorado
THANKS for all the ideas. Always liked the dutch oven food, just never owned one.

i'll check into Aluminum dutch ovens and MSR cookware (looks nice). maybe get a new griddle.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #10

San Juan Islands, Washington
I replaced all my old pots and pans a few years ago with GSI anodized stuff it cleans up really easily and it takes lots of abuse.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote