Kids whitewater boats/gear...help me find used ...please! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 08-08-2017   #1

Balck River falls, Wisconsin
Kids whitewater boats/gear...help me find used ...please!

Hello, I live in WI and am looking for a used remix 47 or jackson fun 1,5 or wavesport fuse 35 for my 10 year old son..
I'D have to ship it, ca't find any thing local at all..
Can't afford new and shipping, but it's hard to look online without some help. If someone could let me know if you see anything usedan from a reputable source I would be very thankful! I'D love for my son to love kayaking!

Frisbeeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017   #2

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Kids boats

Avid4 Adventure in the Denver/Boulder area is selling their kids kayaks. I'd reach out to them to see if they'd ship one to Wisconsin.

Used Gear Sales | Avid4 Adventure

Matt
TennesseeMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #3

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Sidekick

Buy a Jackson Sidekick instead. He won't out grow it for a few years and it iwll give him greater confidence and enjoyment of river running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2017   #4

Balck River falls, Wisconsin
Thanks...any other advice? How does the wavesport fuse 35 stack up to the aidekick!
Frisbeeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #5

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
I concur with KenV - the SideKick is a good way to go. It's fills a gap in sizing that exists between the Fun1.5/Fuse35 and the next size up. The Rockstar XS also helps fill that gap. The Fuse35 and Fun1.5 are very similar boats - the river runner/play boat. The SideKick is the river runner/creeker style with more volume and is very forgiving.

My 12 year old moved into a SideKick when he outgrew the Fuse35, and then into a 2Fun when he outgrew the SideKick (mostly due to height). My 9 year old is currently using a SideKick and will until she's ready for a 2Fun or something more playful.

As for a used kayak, try reaching out to Colorado Kayak, Four Corners River Sports, Confluence Kayak, and any of the mid-west and east coast Jackson Kayak dealers to see if they have demos/used or new kayaks on sale in the coming weeks. I have bought new kayaks end of season at the same price of demos, so keep that in mind when you're calling around.

Also, keep an eye on the gear swap section of BoaterTalk for used/demo boats. I found two two kayaks for my kids year before last on BoaterTalk that I couldn't find anywhere in the surrounding states and had them shipped from a shop in GA to UT.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #6

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbeeguy View Post
Thanks...any other advice? How does the wavesport fuse 35 stack up to the aidekick!
When you look you will notice the Sidekick is greatly different from the others. It is sort of like a kid's version of a Karma. It is not designed as a rodeo/play boat. It is the real deal for superior river running performance that helps the small people stay confident, happy, and interested in continuing a love for the sport. Keeping them enjoying river travels is essential to their growing passion instead of getting scared or hurt and giving up the sport. Play boats (Fun/Fuse) are most appropriate in the safety of easy "park and play" water parks, but the Sidekick will get them advancing their skills with river running through class I-IV as they grow. When they get above 100 lbs it's time to look at a Karma S, and then the M or L as they gain in size. Hopefully your son will grow to enjoy class III-V, experience multi-day river trips, and delight in this wonderful creation we get to enjoy.

Keep it fun, and God bless your adventures.
Old 08-31-2017   #7
Geologist | Photographer

Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbeeguy View Post
Hello, I live in WI and am looking for a used remix 47 or jackson fun 1,5 or wavesport fuse 35 for my 10 year old son..
I'D have to ship it, ca't find any thing local at all..
Can't afford new and shipping, but it's hard to look online without some help. If someone could let me know if you see anything usedan from a reputable source I would be very thankful! I'D love for my son to love kayaking!
I was in teh same "boat" (pun intended) as you. My 10 yo son has a CD Squall...loved teh cutting speed, but still no real element of danger. I then got my kiddo in my old Dagger Freefall LT. He's been digging it and loved the Class I / II at the WW park this late August. I just looked at the boat as a instructional tool...moving in and out of eddys, paddle strokes, etc...Problem is the boat is too long. Yesterday, I found a used Perception Method for $100 during a moving sale. It was in great condition, and never spend tons of money on growing kids except for personal protection gear.
It's better fitting and suits the kind of paddling I'm comfortable with him doing until his skill set and confidence improves.
Dejan Smaic is offline   Reply With Quote