Kids' paddle recommendations? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2016   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Kids' paddle recommendations?

I'm giving my daughter a Tomcat LV for her 13th bday, and I need to find her a paddle still. She's about 4'10", 85ish lbs, and will be paddling flat water > class II/II+ water for now. I was looking at the Bending Branches Splash Paddle at REI: https://www.rei.com/product/784908/b...sh-paddle-kids

Are there better options in the price range? Does anyone have any experience with kids paddles? I'm a round boater so my kayak knowledge is...lacking.

Thanks!

seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016   #2

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Great idea with the Tomcat LV. My kids have really enjoyed paddling the LV over the years and they also used WW kayak paddles, mainly because that's what I had on hand.

That said, a few things to consider:

1. Weight: try to keep the paddle weight down, some of the cheaper paddles are quite heavy and can lead to fatigue more quickly.

2. Offset: my kids all preferred low offset of the blades, between 0-30 degrees.

3. Length: The LV isn't as wide as most IKs, so don't get a super long "touring" paddle unless it will only be used on the lake. The paddle at REI is 200cm and I wouldn't go any longer. If she struggles to use that on the river you can always go with a shorter one. My kids used paddles that were between 185cm - 197cm. In the attached picture my son is using a 185cm paddle that is unfortunately no longer made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ ZOOM 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	11498  
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks for the info, I hadn't thought much about the weight issue. It looks like you have the cheetah chair in that pic of your son. I've read that they're nicer than the thwart seat that comes with the LV. Any opinion on whether that swap is beneficial other than the comfort factor?
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016   #4

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
No opinion. The cheetah style seat came with this LV and the few times I've used an IK it's always been with a cheetah seat as well.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote