keeping your dry box organized - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-04-2013  

Scottsdale, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
keeping your dry box organized

I am looking for some tips on how to keep my dry box organized. I just spent 5 days on the Salt and it seemed to be a mess at the end of the day (flipping in quartzite didn't help) Does anyone make compartments to help separate kitchen/food? What works best? Thanks in advance,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013  

Durango, Colorado

This is what I use (Mountain Smith Modular Hauler). I just use the modules in my box. Nice because it doesn't take up much room, is flexible, can be used as a tote up to camp, etc. I usually divide my kitchen/utensil stuff into one, lunch in another and dinner in the third. Works great off the river for other gear too.
Old 04-04-2013  

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
I use plastic containers for everything that fits. Spices, plates, silverware in the kitchen box. In the other box I use a plastic container for bread and chips so they don't get smashed. Friends of mine make dividers out of thin plywood. The key is to right-size the containers so they barely contain what they need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013  

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
We use the same thing as Storm. Very handy. They are made by Mountain Smith, but only cost about $6 ea. I don't know where my GF found them, but they only came in a dark red color. So, we don't have the fancy colors, but they have a clear plastic pocket on top for placing a list of items that are in each one.
Old 04-04-2013  

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Trader Joe's grocery bags

I like the reusable grocery bags from Trader Joe's. They are just the right size for my drybox, stand up on their own, and they only cost a couple of bucks each. I generally use them to hold food organized by snack or meal, so when it's time to be used, you just pull that bag out and carry it to camp. It's the same concept as the Mountainsmith bags, which I've coveted as a total gear geek, but a lot cheaper. Downside to the TJ's bags is they can't be zipped closed like the Mountainsmiths, so if you do go wrong side up they won't hold everything in.
Old 04-04-2013  

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I just find cardboard boxes that fit snugly in my dry box. Use them for dry goods. I'm always surprised at how much they can hold if packed & layered properly. I found one the perfect size and it's been in there for years.
Old 04-04-2013  

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I use square buckets. And keep food In an ammo can

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Boy that Mountainsmith Modular Hauler 3 System looks sweet.
Not just because of hauling convenience but also most everyone flips sometime.

{One could get that a little cheaper with one of the coupons at Sierra Trading Post and also in a slightly larger Hauler 4 System set up.}

=======

I also like the ammo can for food because if you leave the dry box in the boat who's to protect the starch at night?

- - - - - - - - -

I'm thinking combo

Thanks.

I bet these threads recycle every spring and that's fine by me.
Old 04-04-2013  

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
My drybox looks like a game of tertris. I have the Kelty version of the bags that Storm shared. One holds my small loose stuff and my DO and skillet are in a second.My bowls and plates nest into my big pot, Stove slides down the side. Utensils are in a tupperware as are spices. Knives and cutting boards are in a chief's knife bag which lays across the top. Food, what food? I fit in whatever dry stuff I can on the top of the box. Most of my food is in the cooler.
Old 04-04-2013  

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
My drybox looks like a game of tertris. I have the Kelty version of the bags that Storm shared. One holds my small loose stuff and my DO and skillet are in a second.My bowls and plates nest into my big pot, Stove slides down the side. Utensils are in a tupperware as are spices. Knives and cutting boards are in a chief's knife bag which lays across the top. Food, what food? I fit in whatever dry stuff I can on the top of the box. Most of my food is in the cooler.
Kelty Binto Hauler 3

Its got a shoulder strap, zippered top and is bigger.