Keeping dogs cool/Tacoma backseat ideas - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-07-2011   #1

Jacksonville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Keeping dogs cool/Tacoma backseat ideas

I'm driving the dogs and the wife and the bro-in-law to Oregon from NM in a couple weeks for a Rogue, and I've got two fairly major issues only partially solved: keeping the dogs cooled off in the canopy-covered bed and keeping the person in the '99 Tacoma extended cab "backseat" comfortable for the 21+ hours.

Issue one: i'm going to use a submersible pump in an icewater-filled foam cooler to pipe cold water through vinyl tubing that will curculate through extra foam pieces in the dog's beds. hooking the pump up to an inverter for that. Whaddaya think?

I want to figure out an easy swamp-cooler type thing to put in the way of the air coming through the open front canopy window, too, but I haven't found anything workable unless I start fabricating something with the same water pump/pvc tubing/wet air filter/extra fan....???? Any help with that?

Issue two: I got nothin' but stackin' pillows in various configurations so the passenger can recline sideways. Anyone have a skinny reclining chair idea that would fit?

Thanks for any ideas!
Tyler

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011   #2

Casper, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1997
Have you considered a Crazy Creek chair for sideways reclining?
JC5123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Two ideas.
Do you have a sliding rear window in your Tacoma? If so, they make tunnel thingies...... I think they are called boots, that connect your cab to your truck bed through the sliding windows. It makes a passageway for air conditioning / heat to go through to the truck bed. I never tried one, but had contemplated it when I had a truck/shell/dog.

Are your doggies long or short hair? Ruff Wear makes a ventilated dog jacket that's designed to be soaked with water to keep dogs cool.

Have a good trip. We leave next week from Salt Lake City area for a Rogue trip. We also have a river dog, but she will be in a Toyota 4-Runner with AC.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011   #4
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Three of us did a Fort Collins to Stanley Idaho and back again drive in a 2003 Tacoma extended cab. Fill in all of the floor voids and put a pad on top. A pillow is key. It is easier to recline than sit up. Have good music and a sense of humor. Rotate turns to the back seat.

DOn't do the drive in the heat of the day. Cool coats work well for dogs. Make sure you check on them frequently.

Have fun.
sarahkonamojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Put the dog in the back seat, make the brother in law sit in the back (or the wife, unless you have a lot of assets-could get expensive in the subsequent divorce) with a cooler full of ice and beer. Stop occasionally so the dog and the b in l can piss and call it good. Joking!
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Wow! You went from sump pumps, swamp coolers, and schematics for the dog to a stack of pillows for your woman. Tell us who you really like more.

Have fun and be safe.
Old 07-07-2011   #7

Redstone, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't know if you already have your inverter/pump, but you can get a 12V pump for pretty cheap.

Also, if you can just wet the dogs' hair every once in a while, you can probably forgo the swamp cooler contraption.
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #8

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Two ideas.
Do you have a sliding rear window in your Tacoma? If so, they make tunnel thingies...... I think they are called boots, that connect your cab to your truck bed through the sliding windows. It makes a passageway for air conditioning / heat to go through to the truck bed. I never tried one, but had contemplated it when I had a truck/shell/dog.
KJ

You can also slide a tire innertube between the windows and partially inflate it to seal off the cab and truck bed topper.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #9

Jacksonville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Thanks for more ideas...

I thought about the boot seal/innertube thingy, but the canopy is not insulated at all, and I just don't think the A/C would get to be that effective back there. There are bulky a/c vent hoses that can divert it back to a kennel, but when we're gonna have three adults filling the cab, I can't see a hose traversing the cab as anything but a severe buzzkill.

Yeah, I'd thought about the crazy creek. That'll probably be in our arsenal, along with maybe a folded paco pad and/or a couple thermarests. We'll give him a few Disney movies on the laptop to keep him quiet.

I'm actually leaning towards draping a burlap sack or something similar in the canopy, in front of the front window, so then wind entering will pass through, and periodically opening the cab window and shooting a spray bottle back to wet it down and/or wet down the dogs, too. Might have to take a test ride with the radiating beds and the swamp cooler thingy. I suppose we'll make it work somehow.

@ miller time: Yes, I know my priorities. But sometimes the humans have to take precedence.

@wildh2o: I'd actually considered riding in back myself with the coolers. Most days I feel like the dog of the family anyway

@sarakonamojo: Good ideas for the back, we're all pretty tight, so we can be flexible with trading off positions. I've done the drive multiple times, and I'm gonna try to time it so the hot Utah/Nevada stretches are in the evening/morning. Those ruffwear coats look cool, literally.

@cataraftgirl: You have fun on the Rogue, too. We're putting on on the 21st. It'll be a return to my home river for me. And the next time we do this, it'll be in a doublecab Tacoma with plenty o' room up front.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice!
Old 07-08-2011   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyaker View Post
I'm actually leaning towards draping a burlap sack or something similar in the canopy, in front of the front window, so then wind entering will pass through, and periodically opening the cab window and shooting a spray bottle back to wet it down and/or wet down the dogs, too. Might have to take a test ride with the radiating beds and the swamp cooler thingy. I suppose we'll make it work somehow.

a squeeze bulb type pump run from a five gallon jug ( in the back ) up to the cab and you wouldn't even have to stop just run a short chunk of drip line across your burlap bag and pump it every half hour or so and you are golden.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote