Kayaking App for Android - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-22-2012   #1

newyork, New York
Paddling Since: 2008
Kayaking App for Android

Hi All has anyone seen the new kayak app on Android for mapping your kayak trip. Looks interesting has all the icons that you would use for kayaking and uses gps to place them.

I think this would be great for sharing river information, where to get on/off dangers, waves, stoppers.

What do you think ?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cmxkZXNpZ24iXQ..

markgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012   #2

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
It's would be awesome !! But we don't get cell phone service in canyons and most map applications don't let you save maps for offline use.
pyranha_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
smells like spam to me.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012   #4

newyork, New York
Hey I thought the same no cell phone coverage but its GPS only. I downloaded it and it is awesome. Only thing is ya if you dont have cell coverage like I had in a gorge the weekend you don't get the map but you still get the map points you had entered from previous trips so was able to see how far up ahead the drops where. I got badly going over a couple of years back running a river I had only been on once before and this would have saved my ass. The only smell that day was me
markgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgreen View Post
. I got badly going over a couple of years back running a river I had only been on once before and this would have saved my ass.
that's the dumbest thing i've ever read on the buzz. and that's quite an achievement.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #6

The Bitterroot, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgreen
Hey I thought the same no cell phone coverage but its GPS only. I downloaded it and it is awesome. Only thing is ya if you dont have cell coverage like I had in a gorge the weekend you don't get the map but you still get the map points you had entered from previous trips so was able to see how far up ahead the drops where. I got badly going over a couple of years back running a river I had only been on once before and this would have saved my ass. The only smell that day was me
LMFAO. Yes, i believe this new technology will replace all scouting and common sense on all my future trips, especially when " in a gorge the weekend"
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #7

Wheeler, Oregon
I have no idea if there is a way to sync earrings with notes, but BackCountry Navigator (BC Nav) is a great app. It was $11 for all 7.5 min quads of north america. You can download map tiles for use when out of cell service. Super handy. Not sure if it comes with auto boof and drop navigation coupled with google river view so you can look at the picture on your phone to make sure you are on line.
boogercookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking