Kayak sizing opinions wanted - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-07-2014   #1

Longmont, Colorado
Kayak sizing opinions wanted

Hey there!

My situation : my wife and I bought kayaks last year. She has lost interest since the purchase, so we are working to sell hers...I think just hers(other issues may require selling both...but If I can help it, I'd really like to keep one for me ).

I have a Large Pyranha Burn. I'm 5'11' 140-145lbs. I've researched and found that a large is manageable, but may be a little more work for me. I'm fine with that.

but...

The other boat in question is a small Shiva.
I was reading the pyranha site, looking at boats stats/weight ranges etc, and found that I am in the right in middle of the weight range for the small...which I've read is a good place to be. The Shiva is a bit longer than the burn too...

So, my question : Is the small too small for me?

Should I consider running the small shiva or stick with the large burn (I'm down with either boat, and pretty well aware of differences between the burn/shiva, just not really experienced enough to know what I need size wise.

Thanks in advance!

Doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014   #2

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
Do you fit comfortably in the Shiva S at 5-11? If not sell both and get a medium of either type (type also depends on class of water). If you do multi-days keep the Burn L. It will have a ton of storage for you. If you just river run (no creeking) then sell both and get a medium Burn or Axiom, Mamba, Remix, Zen, FunRunner or Diesel etc...
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm 140 before gear and 5'10. My med. Shiva is perfect for me. Just sayin'.....

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I'm gonna go against the grain here.... Weight specs are a joke. It's an industry standard that is used to approximate user weight...ONLY. Don't trust it.
If the boat you want is 'close', give it a try and find out if you like it. (I'm 210, but I'm heavy in my upper body and prefer a 'lighter' kayak. My COG is far higher than normal so a lighter kayak is much better for me.)
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #5

Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman987 View Post
Do you fit comfortably in the Shiva S at 5-11? If not sell both and get a medium of either type (type also depends on class of water). If you do multi-days keep the Burn L. It will have a ton of storage for you. If you just river run (no creeking) then sell both and get a medium Burn or Axiom, Mamba, Remix, Zen, FunRunner or Diesel etc...
It feels a bit small honestly...

Hadn't really thought about selling both boats to buy another... Had gotten so used to the idea of riding a big boat...I'd gotten sort of attached to it.

After sitting some more in the small...I think I'd end up feeling cramped...more narrow...hard to say though, as the large burn is well, larger.

My uses will include creeks...I live in Longmont so boulder, clear are near. I also plan on spending time around lyons and up poudre. I've only spent time in a pool learning rolls and basics, and paddling around a lake...so my goals were around class iii ish this year. Really just want to get out and do it. So much time during winter equals too much thinking about it.
Doozer is offline   Reply With Quote