Kayak Recommendations for Multi-day Trip? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-15-2013   #1

Madison, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 2005
Kayak Recommendations for Multi-day Trip?

I'm looking to take a multi-day trip on one of the 4-rivers up in Idaho, but my group's looking to do it self-supported and I only own a Fun. I'm leaning toward picking up something like a used Remix/Mamba/Zen/Diesel/Burn and using it as a bigger-water boat once the trip's done.
Anybody have input on what boat would be good for a 5'10"/155lb mediocre boater? (I live a full day's drive from any place where I could demo.)

virg4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
appropriate size remix, I would advise to go big if you want self support ability
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #3

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I paddle a zen and I love it. It is really good for river running, is nice and fast (good for the flat water sections of long trips), is very stable, and is easy to roll. I would recommend the Zen 65 (the medium zen).
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
You've probably seen this video of Remix self-support on GC.
If my comfort and safety depended on it, I'd probably want a stronger closure on that hatch than comes standard.

(But your trip will be shorter than a GC.)

I don't think you mentioned the Fusion which has gotten good reviews.
Liquid Logic Remix XP9 vs. The Pyranha Fusion kayak Review
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Fusion is a great boat for multi-day floats, but I use a Burn for more aggressive whitewater. If your a class V guru like Cutch then sure, you can go hucking a fully loaded Fusion down runs like the Upper Taos Box...... but most mere mortals will limit it's use to class III and easy class IV. If your running solid 4 or harder with a full load I would go with a creek boat.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #6

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Gotta plug the Fluid Expedition. I own both the LL XP9 and Fluid Expedition and love them both. Slow water, XP9. Fast water, the Fluid. The XP9 has a skeg, the Fluid doesn't. The Fluid has a neo hatch cover and hatch, the XP9 has a leaky plastic hatch. Benefits to both, and I'm proud to recommend both.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #7
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Any creek boat can will allow for lightweight backpack style camping for any of the 4 rivers multi-days. I would look at the remix, burn, mamba and zen to start with. The cross-over boats like the remix xp, fusion etc will likely be much more difficult to paddle whitewater with. If you are already a little apprehensive about the whitewater I think you should focus on packing light and taking a shorter whitewater focused boat like the 4 I mentioned above.
Old 12-16-2013   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
To me (novice), the Fluid Big Bang looks more like a full on WW boat than the "crossovers." Am I right about that??
Big Bang
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #9
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
To me (novice), the Fluid Big Bang looks more like a full on WW boat than the "crossovers." Am I right about that??
Big Bang
Yes, but aside from the hatch adding convenience it looks like a standard creekboat length/volume. Which is to say it should probably be considered but not to the exclusion of the other boats it most closely resembles.