Kayak question. - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-04-2013   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Kayak question.

Howdy all. I know nothing about kayaks. I am a raft/drift boat guy. My wife however wants a kayak or anything that can be used for casual trips to still water. She has no interest at all in white water, only local ponds/still water for an evening paddle. We have a raft we use on whitewater. What should I be looking for? I am thinking it needs to be light enough to easily carry or drag from a parking lot to a pond but I rather avoid inflatable since I am thinking a hard boat would be less maintenance but then again I know nothing about them.

What should I look into? What should I expect to pay for something used? I am thinking she will use this boat a few times a summer and as long as it floats it will do, not looking for anything fancy. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

T1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Craigslist and whatever comes up for the cheapest. Might even find something old and free
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #3

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
She may not like the instability. I'd consider a single person Alpacka (Alpaca Model) up through the Explorer 42, depending on how much gear she may want to lug. They only weigh just over 5lbs.

Kayaks will be just as high maintenance, if not higher. They oil can, etc; the playboats are the least newbie-friendly and smallest, but only weight around 30-40lbs. The creek boats weigh 45-70lbs. Recreational kayaks will be about the same as the creek boats.

Even if you forget about the roll, it takes a lot of time to be comfortable in kayak and not scared you'll flip.

Alpacka rafts put up with as much abuse as PVC/traditional rafts for a fraction of the weight. Something to look at, in any case. Yes, they can pop if you really goof; just like regular rafts.

Duckies are nice too; if not a tad more river-run friendly (but are pretty heavy and cumbersome if you're not used to it.)

She'll feel much more comfortable in an inflatable; sooner.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013   #4

BV, Colorado
my 2 cents

Maybe look into a Liquid Logic XP 9 or 10. What a cool boat. I play with mine on Dillion and twin Lakes. Also, bigger rivers- gunnison, Colorado. It's amazing what the skeg can do. You could rent one from CKS in BV and take it to the town pond and paddle around. Check out the video: Liquidlogic Kayaks
daveyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #5

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Take a look at inflatable kayaks - being able to roll them for transport and storage has it's benefits over harshell plastic kayaks.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #6

Derby, Connecticut
Paddling Since: 1975
Completely agree about the IKs, we did a swan rescue two weeks ago, had a woman who's never been in a kayak before take out my Boat People Trinity II (set up for solo) and she absolutely loved it and paddled it quite effortlessly once she got here bearings all set....
Old 08-18-2013   #7
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1112 View Post
Howdy all. I know nothing about kayaks. I am a raft/drift boat guy. My wife however wants a kayak or anything that can be used for casual trips to still water. She has no interest at all in white water, only local ponds/still water for an evening paddle. We have a raft we use on whitewater. What should I be looking for? I am thinking it needs to be light enough to easily carry or drag from a parking lot to a pond but I rather avoid inflatable since I am thinking a hard boat would be less maintenance but then again I know nothing about them.

What should I look into? What should I expect to pay for something used? I am thinking she will use this boat a few times a summer and as long as it floats it will do, not looking for anything fancy. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
It sounds like a hard shell sit on top 'Recreational' kayak would be what you are describing as the best fit for your wife. rigid,rotomolded, not too heavy,durable, sit on top... easy in, no rolling, carry some goodies in a drybag no problem for a picnic, etc... they will track well and are actually pretty fast.
(we used a tandem sit on top kayak to paddle the Napali Coast in Kuaia, with an outfitter, 17 ocean miles in one day with @ 2-4' swell. so awesome, but rowdy too...flipped once in the swell coming back out of a seacave. but you just flip it back over, climb in and keep going. )

Cruise 10 - Jackson Kayak - Whitewater Kayaks, Fishing Kayaks, Recreational Kayaks Jackson Kayak Whitewater Kayaks, Fishing Kayaks, Recreational Kayaks

there are many versions, JK are def.top of the line, i suppose. but sit on tops are available at costco or sam's club, or maybe REI. or CL/ denver prolly has lots.

Demo before you buy, to see if she like them....
other option is a enclosed sea kayak that you would use on a lake. if she wanted to learn how to roll etc, then the better option would be a Remix XP9 as mentioned above....
Inflatables are optimal for easy an intro to rivers but prolly not as good for lakes cause theyre heavier, slowish and dont track like a rigid boat. still totally feasible tho...
hope that helps!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote