Kayak Gear Repair Tips - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-07-2017   #1

Pucón, Chile
Paddling Since: 1990
Kayak Gear Repair Tips

As Chile ends it's summer season and the fall leaves begin to drop Pucon Kayak Hostel has decided to train our full time carpenter Daniel on a full gear repair program for the winter months. I'm going to the Buzz to get repair tips for a person with excellent carpenter skills but lacking whitewater gear experience.
What tips, general tools would you suggest, and experiences can you share.
Thank you in advance for giving any tips.

A. General Questions -
1. Industrial Tire Repair Glue - The best sprayskirt repair job I've sen was a tire repair (vulcanizacion) guy in Ecuador used tube rubber and tire repair glue to repair holes in a skirt. Any ideas.
2. Researching buying a heavy duty hand tool sewing device for skirts and backbands. I'm starting with local leather / saddle craftsmen and fabric shops. Any suggestions?

B. Skirts -
1. Broken Bungee or Rubber - I've got several solid skirts that need the bungee or rubber repaired. What works?
2. Ripped / Holes in Neoprene -
3. Sewing Neoprene Tips -

C. Dry Tops - with Aquaseal being both expensive and hard to get what are thoughts on using the industrial tire repair glue on dry tops?

D. Old Booties - Any suggestions?

E. Kayaks - PKH sells our 2+ year old and broken kayaks in order to keep our kayak fleet fresh and in best condition. So, repairs are done with the concept of selling the damaged boat to boaters on a budget. Damages include: broken back bands, oil cans, cracks, dents, seat brackets dropping through screw slots, broken seat ratchets...
1. Backbands
2. Teaching Plastic Welding - Good idea. Bad idea?

F. Paddles - Will likely return broken paddles to US to ship back for repairs. But damaged blades I'm considering seeking out an autobody shop that does fiberglass work. Suggestions?
Other Suggestions.

Thanks M Buzz.

Keep Kayaking.

David

Pucon Kayak Hostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017   #2

Pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 08
What problems with the booties??? The soles? Or what?
Kylerberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
On the heavy duty sewing front, consider a sailor's palm if you're doing the repairs by hand. Even though it sounds like the punchline to a joke.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017   #4

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 1990
For sewing neoprene, I sew the nylon on one side with a whipstitch that doesn't go deep into the neoprene, then fold the seam open, apply neoprene glue, let it set up for 5 minutes, then whipstitch the nylon on the other side. Dental floss is the perfect size thread, and it's even minty fresh!

I've tried lots of things to fix a busted rand on a spray skirt, but nothing has ever held up; there's just too much tension.

For sewing cordura and webbing, nothing beats a speedy stitcher sewing awl. Dental floss, a yarn needle, and a thimble and pliers will work in a pinch, but get an awl.

I have 2 kayaks that I've plastic welded cracks in, and they're going strong 8 and 15 years later. I carve off a piece of the inside of the cockpit cowling to use for fill rod, then weld with a butane torch.

Good luck!
ben94122 is offline   Reply With Quote