Kayak for big guy that canít roll - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Denver, Colorado
Kayak for big guy that canít roll

My 8 year old is learning to paddle and will be great based on her flexibility and strength Iíve seen so far.
Iíd like to learn to roll with her, Iíve taken classes but canít seem to get my head down long enough to roll, doesnít help that Iím pretty uncoordinated and clumsy and really like my head out of the water.
Iím 6í4Ē tall and 215 lbs, last boat I tried to roll was an old stikine that I couldnít get over. Inseam is 36Ē.
Please recommend me some kayaks I can get used and fairly cheap to roll
with her.
She has a Jackson fun 1.5 I just picked up and her braces look good already.
I can row a raft for days and usually will, but want to show her I can learn new things as well.
What can yíall teach me or recommend or sell
me, Iíve got a paddle and a skirt from the stikine.

jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Mamba 8.6

I'm just about to post a Dagger mamba 8.6 to the classifieds. I'd have a hard time believing you couldn't get in it comfortably. I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and have the seat most of the way forward. Super stable boat, really good for beginners. Also, Nomads and liquid logic stompers are great for the tall ones. Good luck in your search and let me know if you're interested at all in checking mine out!
Luke
LLubchenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Denver, Colorado
Message sent, thanks, how easy is it to roll? I'd love to learn that skill as I'm decent at reading water and moving to where I want to be, but know I'm going to roll over and want to be able to come back up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Several may add this as well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonseim View Post
My 8 year old is learning to paddle and will be great based on her flexibility and strength Iíve seen so far.
Iíd like to learn to roll with her, Iíve taken classes but canít seem to get my head down long enough to roll, doesnít help that Iím pretty uncoordinated and clumsy and really like my head out of the water.
Iím 6í4Ē tall and 215 lbs, last boat I tried to roll was an old stikine that I couldnít get over. Inseam is 36Ē.
Please recommend me some kayaks I can get used and fairly cheap to roll
with her.
She has a Jackson fun 1.5 I just picked up and her braces look good already.
I can row a raft for days and usually will, but want to show her I can learn new things as well.
What can yíall teach me or recommend or sell
me, Iíve got a paddle and a skirt from the stikine.

I do not know about skirt fit from your previous boat, but a Jackson Superfun may just fill the bill for you nicely. I had a buddy the same height but a bit heavier buy one just to perfect his roll and was very successful with the result.

I have seen a Jackson Superfun pop up from time to time on Denver area Craigslist. Same boat but just listed at different times as it is likely not selling too quick. I would start there first and begin asking around. You should be able to find one for reasonable $$$. Good Luck!
MTNLIVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

So the Mamba you are being offered actually belongs to a good friend of mine and it is a nice boat! Predominately white with gray and one green accent. He loaned me this boat back in May this year for a class and it was virtually new when I took it out. If I had not just bought a new to me Mamba for myself, I would buy Luke's boat in a nanosecond! 8.6 Mamba has some awesome comfort for a bigger person. I loved it!
MTNLIVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNLIVN View Post
I do not know about skirt fit from your previous boat, but a Jackson Superfun may just fill the bill for you nicely. I had a buddy the same height but a bit heavier buy one just to perfect his roll and was very successful with the result.

I have seen a Jackson Superfun pop up from time to time on Denver area Craigslist. Same boat but just listed at different times as it is likely not selling too quick. I would start there first and begin asking around. You should be able to find one for reasonable $$$. Good Luck!

Not sure what you mean in the second paragraph? What's the same boat? I just checked CL and no superfun's there.

I'm looking to run class II-III in it and just be able to float down rivers, not sure when that'll happen if wife and daughters are in kayaks and somebody's gotta row the raft with dinner and breakfasts in it.

Thanks and keep stuff coming
Jon
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I would keep an eye out for a large (new design) Dagger Nomad or Pyranha Machno. Both boats will easily float you at 215 and are easy to roll as well. If you can find a cracked one that's been welded you can likely pick it up for $150-$200 and still get plenty of life out of it if you stick to Class II-III.
kreykedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
my son learned his roll in a Mamba 8.0. In his opinion it is the easiest kayak to roll that he has been in. Had some frustrations in the pool when his solid roll turned into a struggle going from the mamba to a LL jefe. Once he had that down the only thing he has struggled with at all is the flatter bottomed boats...pretty much has those down too.

TLDR: Mamba is a great boat to learn to roll in.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I bet someone tried to teach you a C to C roll. Dont do that stupid roll. Find someone to teach you a sweep roll. I'm old, fat and have 2 bad shoulders and I can do it. You can too.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I'll be that guy:
If you can't roll, DO NOT go on the river with your kid.
Sorry, but if you're the "adult" and need to be your daughter's safety, you suddenly have no eyes on her if you find yourself inverted and yanking your skirt. (but do consider boating with other adult friends who may be willing to mentor you)

That said, pool sessions or pond/lake water are a different thing. GO FOR IT! If either you or your daughter swim, you're not carried away from the other by current. Get out and have fun. Rolling is only one part of kayaking. Moving the boat with your body and your blade is a much bigger part, and you can have a ton of fun on flat water. Get an old sponge, play polo. Set out some balloons or balls and set up a slalom course. Short races point to point. Relay races...you get the idea. If you and she can both focus on fun, while happening to move your boats, you'll learn a ton.

Now, as for learning to roll? Again, get out and learn how your paddle and your body work together. Rolling can get easier. Like LSB said, learn the sweep roll...learn to scull your blade. Kayaking is wonderful for your core. You can gain flexibility. Do some yoga or pilates. Stretch well before and after kayaking.

SuperFun
And get thee a SuperFun. It's literally SUPER FUN. I have been through 9 or 10 different WW kayaks in the past 22 years, and just got a SuperFun this spring. It is the most fun kayak I've ever owned.

I'm 44, 6'-5", 205# with a 38" inseam and size 14 feet. It fits me like a glove. Not too tight, not too loose. Everything else has been painfully tight, and it's not fun to boat in something you're swimming in, either.

Took my SuperFun on the Main and was planning to rotate rowing/kayaking duties with a buddy. He got hurt on Day 2 and I rowed the rest of the trip...and 4 other people all jumped in my boat and ran at least Class II, including my buddy's 15yo 95# son who ran Vinegar, Carey, Ruby, and Lake Creek without ever having kayaked before. Boat was slightly large, but we moved the seat, tightened the backband, and added a drybag in front of the foot block...and it wasn't so big he couldn't control it.

The Mamba and other creek boats are large enough they won't be responsive to your commands, and you won't learn as quickly. The SuperFun is nimble, yet stable. It's a playful river runner. I would NOT recommend a smaller boat (SuperStar or the like) as I think you would find it a bit twitchy and too responsive to errors in balance.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote