Kayak for big guy that canít roll - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-26-2019   #11

Denver, Colorado
Are you my twin MT4Runner

I should change my name to CO4Runner as I drive one as well.

I'll try and check out one of those Super funs, they sound, Super Fun!

I like the idea of my boat not only fitting me as my wife is 5'0 and 110 lbs and kids are 6 and 8

I'd never be the only one in the water with my kids, the safety net we used on the San Juan this year with kids on sit on top was complicated, yet very effective with three rafts and three sit on tops and a ducky.

Thanks for all the feedback thus far, I'm going to get into a Jackson Zen large tonight as someone is bringing me one to play in. Should be fun, but maybe not Super fun!

jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019   #12

Flying Squirrel

I have a Green Flying Squirrel. Its a huge boat and I am sure it will fit you. Very easy to roll. It has been cracked on Screaming Quarter Mile and welded by Bart at Golden River Sports. I m asking $150.00 for it.
egillaspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019   #13

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
2nd on the SuperFun - a good all around kayak. Try to find a 2010 model year or later with a seat track (instead of a single beam), real easy dial in the seat adjustment.

if you can't find a cheap SuperFun, I'd suggest a SuperHero kayak. Super comfy, super forgiving and stable, easy to roll, easy to maneuver, etc. I see on on Denver CL currently.

Other options similar to the SuperFun:
Liquid Logic FreeRide 67
WaveSport Fuse 64
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019   #14

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonseim View Post
I like the idea of my boat not only fitting me as my wife is 5'0 and 110 lbs and kids are 6 and 8
I wouldn't plan on them using it regularly...but if you're all at the lake goofing off, it's a boat everyone can fit in.

At your height, you might fit in a 4Fun, but you'd have to try it. I crammed myself into a 4Fun, so I know it's possible, but my feet would have been asleep in 15-20min.

In my 20's-30's, I used to stuff myself into a lot smaller boats than that.
(I paddled an X and an EZ semi-regularly. Now at 44, that sounds painful.)

This thread shows 6'+ kayakers fitting in the 4Fun.

Oh, and for a newer paddler, avoid the 2007 4/Super as they're pretty edgy and grabby (they're really angular). The 2010 and 2013 have rounder edges and have dual-rail seat tracks and nicer outfitting, too.

Quote:
I'd never be the only one in the water with my kids, the safety net we used on the San Juan this year with kids on sit on top was complicated, yet very effective with three rafts and three sit on tops and a ducky.
Cheers!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019   #15

Jenks, Oklahoma
Level 4 WW ACA kayak instructor from 1991 till a injury forced me out of hard shell kayaks in 2012. Taught many folks to roll over the years.

I learned the C to C roll early on from Ken Kastroff at NOC and it was reliable roll, good for me. Later started taking trips with Phil DeReimer who was a sweep roll teacher. Sweep roll was super easy for me (I was getting older and not nearly as flexible as I used to be) and the sweep became the roll I taught. Phil and his wife Mary (both world class boaters) created a video showing how to do and teach the sweep roll in very easy steps. Probably hard to find these days but the best roll how to video I found.

Talking about kayaks. If you can find one, I used a Perception full size Corscia for years. The classic big boy kayak. Took mine down the Grand Canyon and it was a very comfy boat very easy to roll. When the RPM Max came out that became my favorite all around boat, super easy to roll. They may be easier to find these days. for me RPM Max an all around fun boat.

https://www.swaledaleoutdoorclub.org...eption-corsica

This link is a photo of a full size Corsica as Perception also made a smaller version.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019   #16

Northern Utah, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

Oh, and for a newer paddler, avoid the 2007 4/Super as they're pretty edgy and grabby (they're really angular). The 2010 and 2013 have rounder edges and have dual-rail seat tracks and nicer outfitting, too.
Cheers!
Small correction:

While there are 4 different generations of the 4 Fun (2004, 2007, 2010, 2015), each with a different design, there are only 2 generations of the SuperFun. The shell design on it hasn't hasn't changed since the 2nd gen came out in 2007. The 2nd gen SuperFun was a big improvement over the 1st gen, both inside and out. (note: the 1st gen is the same design still used on the Fun1 and Fun1.5 kayaks). As I think MT4Yaris () was attempting to do, I also recommend avoiding the 1st gen the 4/SuperFuns and sticking with later versions. Maybe JK will finally redesign the SuperFun next year.....albeit with more of the 3rd gen flair for Fun!

1st gen (Fun1, Fun1.5, 2Fun, Fun, 4Fun, SuperFun): https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/s...935697478.html

2nd gen (2Fun, Fun, 4Fun, SuperFun): https://twinfalls.craigslist.org/spo...929904525.html

3rd gen (2Fun, Fun, 4Fun): https://rockies.craigslist.org/spo/d...920622789.html

4th gen (2Fun, Fun, 4Fun): https://twinfalls.craigslist.org/spo...929912642.html
Old 07-27-2019   #17

vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a 2019 Jackson Zen Large for sale, used 2x, I think it is easy to roll, just a little too big for me. Let me know if you are interested and we can talk price.
leesonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019   #18

Denver, Colorado
If you had a choice between a Zen, Mamba and Super Fun, which would you recommend to a guy who can paddle and has and wants to learn to roll.

Looks like great options are out there for me and even larger footed folks.
Thanks, going to look at a Mamba, paddled a zen the other night, also going to look at a super fun.

Guessing it comes down to comfort, but love to hear other input.
jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019   #19

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Fatman, thanks for the correction on the Jackson fun generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonseim View Post
If you had a choice between a Zen, Mamba and Super Fun, which would you recommend to a guy who can paddle and has and wants to learn to roll.

Looks like great options are out there for me and even larger footed folks.
Thanks, going to look at a Mamba, paddled a zen the other night, also going to look at a super fun.

Guessing it comes down to comfort, but love to hear other input.

The Mamba is a full-on creek boat. Great for...creeks..and self-support, and maybe running Class IV when you're still only comfortable in Class III. It's just going to be a lot of volume on Class II-III and IMHO won't be responsive enough for you to learn in...but it will be the most comfortable.

Not having paddled the Zen, take my advice for what you paid for it...the Zen is a river runner that leans toward being a creeker. More volume in the ends, and still surfy. If you have really bad flexibility, it may be more forgiving.

The SuperFun is a river runner that tends toward playboating. It doesn't have huge volume in the ends, but it has enough length that you won't find yourself pearling or squirting easily, but can do it if you throw your weight around. I can't promise you'll love it, but I think you will. I highly recommend you try one before pulling the trigger, it will be the most responsive and should teach you the fastest (and I don't mean that in a "throw jonseim in the deep end and see if he swims" kind of way). I think it will be forgiving yet responsive in a comfortable way.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019   #20

Northern Utah, Utah
Whichever kayak fits your budget, fits you, and gets you on the water the soonest is the one I'd choose. Beyond that it all comes down to preferences, many of which you won't know yourself until you've been paddling a while. So grab a boat and some gear, learn the roll, start paddling with your kids and the rest you'll figure out as you progress.