Kayak choice(s) for Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-31-2010   #1

Manhattan Beach, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Kayak choice(s) for Grand Canyon

Have a GC permit June 2011. On my 6 previous trips, I have always used kayaks with relatively high hull speed, since I really love the endless green glassy surf waves (makes the flat water go by easier, also). (Examples, Cylon, Frankenstein, evan a T-Slalom way back when). Wanting to get something similar for this trip--any suggestions? All the hot new boats are too short to be fast enough...(I think?).

Comments welcome...

keith

keith beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Any squirt boat should be fast enough
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Pyranha has two or three bigger boats that have planing hulls @ over 9' long. I paddled the Pyranha G3 on the Futa and surfed the bigger green waves very easily. The older Wave Sport Foreplay and Score are good choices too as well as the X and Z. Have to say I was on a GC trip two summer's ago and brought my 6' playboat and it stayed on my raft the whole trip except for one epic day at 24 mile rapid.
your trip may have different water levels but recently flows have been consistently low-med and surfing little boats is pretty marginal. We had an excellent (Pro) Kayaker on a trip and he never caught a wave bigger than about two feet tall unless it had a pile on it; This is OE.C. on the Epic day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7387.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	849.1 KB
ID:	2930  

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Axiom?
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #5

Ft Collins, Colorado
I'm biased and only done one Grand trip, but I'll still assert the RPM is the best big-river boat ever built. I've been on a bunch of raft-support trips where I could surf 'til I puked while others in play boats paddled like hell, only to quickly wash off. I think the low-volume stern in the RPM is also important - great fun doing those full-out-of-the-water back-enders off big, breaking Grand waves! Great hull speed, doesn't pearl off waves, surfs like a champ.

But I'm old style - love surfing, don't miss the tricks. I have an old video of someone (Scott Shipley?) doing linked cartwheels in an RPM...something I'll never have the skill to do. Plus the RPM is comfortable.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
I took the dagger agent and had no problem catching waves. It also made the big haystacks that much more fun getting tossed around in that small boat.

have fun...also I made a cheat sheet for gear and stuff, see it here

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...eer-21361.html
Old 09-06-2010   #7

Horserump, Colorado
Check out Pirjon boats. they still make some big ones. I agree on the RPM and I have heard that you can still get a new one.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
I still have and still use my RPM Max and Response

Both good boats for big western rivers, if you are comfortable using 'old school" designs. Both surf great, handle the big stuff and cruise the flats.

I have heard really good things about the new Axiom if you like the RPM series, this update might work well.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #9

Manhattan Beach, CA, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Both good boats for big western rivers, if you are comfortable using 'old school" designs. Both surf great, handle the big stuff and cruise the flats.

I have heard really good things about the new Axiom if you like the RPM series, this update might work well.

SO I found a used Axiom....thanks for tips. I also found a Necky Jive that my son will demo--similar concept.

keith
keith beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
I took the mid-sized Axxiom on a GC trip last spring. Rented it, LOVED it. Fast, stable, caught a lot of the bigger waves, but it would also flat-spin, and it was comfortable as hell. Also, it was good for rescuing swimmers, which is something most of the really short boats suck at. I had a 220lb guy on the back deck below House Rock, and was able to paddle him to shore. No way I could have done that in a SuperFun or similar.

Tags
kayaking