Kayak and canoe builders in Denver area? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-14-2018   #1

Denver, Colorado
Kayak and canoe builders in Denver area?

Hello,

I'm interested in finding a local builder or company that builds kayaks and canoes. I grew up in MN kayaking and canoeing in the city and up in the boundary waters. I'd like to gain some knowledge and experience with building. I'd love to lend a free hand so that I can gain some knowledge. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. Cheers

kyeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Search this site for Dory builds. It will point you to some web sites that will be a great resource
El-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018   #3

Denver, Colorado
Ok great, thanks! I sure will. Getting really pumped about the process
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018   #4

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Boulder Boat Works

https://boulderboatworks.com/
Old 03-16-2018   #5

x, x
Paddling Since: x
There is a guy in boulder who builds strip boat canoes and kayaks, I think Al beat me to it, but I didn’t know his name anyway, and there is a lot of building and kits online.

As fun as it seems plain on spending about 3k for a kayak and 16 months of your time, and that’s only if you get it right the first time. Good news is they are easily repairable with resin instead of glue, but that’s considered cheating.

I tip I saw, was to coat the inside of the boat with a thin set epoxy, it absorbs into the wood and bonds and seals it. And everybody was like “no” but I did a test layup in my garage, one with clamps and water glue the other with a resin coating and I had to smash the resin to get it to break. Glue alone broke on impact.

Either way post pictures of your progress. Do cutting boards and other small scale projects to get a feel.

stoked for you.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018   #6

Denver, Colorado
Perfect! Yeah it definitely is a project. Thanks for the heads up and I'll look into that. You rock guys, thanks again for the help
Old 03-22-2018   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
I've built a wood drift boat, whitewater dory and a stitch and glue kayak. Be glad to chat if you have questions (I live in Basalt). There is a website called Wooden Boat People that has good info and contacts. Pygmy boats out of Port Townsend WA has some great stitch and glue kits for kayaks and small boats that are fairly easy to build. Good luck
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018   #8

Denver, Colorado
Thanks for reaching out jgrebe. Those are some great builds right there and I have heard of the Pygmy kits, they look fun. Yeah I'd love to be able to shoot you a couple questions shortly here if thats ok. Thanks again!

Tags
canoe