Karma S or M ?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-28-2013   #1

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Karma S or M ??

Anyone paddling the Karma S that is of similar size as me (155 lbs/ 5'5")?

I'm trying to decide between the Small or Medium. I think the Small without the seat cushion could be my preference. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
If you are never going to do self support and you are comfortable in a small then go for it. But if you're going to do a bunch of long 20+ miles runs with safety gear and lunch the med would be ticket.
Old 06-28-2013   #3

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Hey Ken. I think DBK has it right. I'm in the medium and at 180- I feel right in the sweet spot. I'm pretty sure CKS has got a demo or two of the Karma. I'm loving the boat.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013   #4

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Not many people my size have chosen the large, but I'm LOVING the Karma L at 6'1 180 pounds.
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #5

The Bitterroot, Montana
A few weeks ago you were touting the Karma as the best creek boat ever built, now your not sure what size fits you????....... Sounds like you need to do some more paddling before you tell everyone this is the best shit ever......
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #6

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by montuckyhuck View Post
A few weeks ago you were touting the Karma as the best creek boat ever built, now your not sure what size fits you????....... Sounds like you need to do some more paddling before you tell everyone this is the best shit ever......
Yep, always wish I could work in more boating. Problem is I'm mostly patrolling on the river in either a raft or company kayak (Stomper 80). When not working I'm generally enjoying time with my the wife and kids or enjoying private boating in my custom outfitted Villain S. Just like so many other people did, I knew the Villain was the bomb when it came out, and we know the Karma is great, too. Lots of years of boating does that sort of thing. Now I just bought a Karma at the FIBArk silent auction. Turns out it is a Medium, which will no doubt work just fine, but I could exchange it for a small. And being I've trimmed down 10 lbs from all the boating and hard work I do taking care of the river, it is a consideration that I might better enjoy the small. In more recent years I loved the WS Y (73), Diesel 65, Habitat 74, Punk Rocker (6 and Villain S (79.5). So the Karma M (86) just keeps getting bigger. Which, I know can be the ticket if I want it to be with my proven custom outfitting similar to what I did on my Villain. My question is proposed to those that are similar to my size ... able to paddle a small or a medium ... have they an intelligent opinion to share? I could exchange my new medium for a small and am considering doing so for the fact that 6" shorter, 5 lbs lighter, and 1" narrower, could be desirable in my trimmed stature. The question is not whether the Karma is a great boat. I just want to hear from anyone my size that are paddling either the Small or Medium for their thoughts. Stephen Wright waivered and suggested I would certainly enjoy either and I agree and know how to optimize the fit of either to my liking. Thanks for your concern about my knowledge and experience. Now lets hear from those whom the question was directed towards. Best wishes in your pursuits.

Cheers!

Ken