Karma RG front pillar - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-16-2017   #1

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
Karma RG front pillar

Has anyone with a Karma RG taken the front pillar out of the boat for Grand Canyon self support? The boat seems to have a lot of flex with the pillar. People do it but the idea makes me nervous. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. That sliding bulkhead takes up so much room.

kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2017   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've considered this.

If I were going to remove it, I'd rig some sort of alternate support.

A dry bag that would always have the same solid stuff in ti would be the foot brace, and maybe a line of 6" PVC tubes with foam end pads that wedged in tight to help prevent the deck squishing down. the perfect rectangular custom box would be ideal, but would need some serious fabrication skills. Maybe plastic welded panels with foam top and bottom to make it fit tight and slide.

Did you get the Hard Hat that they make for the rear hatch?. I assume the one for the Karma Traverse would fit it. Are those standard now?

For what its worth, the traverse holds more gear and is way more nimble, if not quite as fast.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017   #3

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
While I don't own a Karma RG, taking out the front pillar would make me nervous.

You may already know this, but with the pillar in, you do have access to the space in front of the foot blocks.

RiversRohrer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2017   #4

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
Yes you have access but that system take up a lot of space...like most of it.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
And they are a pain to access. What a great idea to cut away the bow to make it easier to remove and load!

I agree that you wouldn't want to creek in it without the front structure, but I feel if you support it with some other gear the risk of this boat finding a rock to wrap and fold on in the grand isn't too serious. I can't picture it having structural issues in just big waves and holes, but I could be wrong.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017   #6

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
I leave my pilar in. There is a ton of room in the boat as is. A couple tricks as to accessing the bow storage, first, make sure to pull the bulkhead all the way forward, then remove the foot braces, that allows the most room possible for loading. The other thing that helps is taking a hacksaw blade and cutting the wings that stick out horizontally from the slider, this gives you 1.5-2" more space to slide bags through. Lots of smaller bags work better than a couple large ones. We had plenty of room for a 10 day GC self support, I even fit a 30 rack in all the little nooks of leftover space.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote