K Pump - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2010   #1

Denver, Colorado
K Pump

Hello,

I was wondering if I could use the K pump 100 or 200 series or if I need to get a K pump 40, which is around $150.00 mulas. What is the difference. I read if you have a pontoon like mine for fishing the K Pump 40 works best, but dont want to spend that much. Any ideas?

tballgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010   #2

Prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
I think the K100 would work fine for a pontoon - especially if you supplement it with an inexpensive electric pump to get the tubes partially inflated first, before switching over to the hand pump.
rising.sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
If you're spending that much just get a barrel pump eh?
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010   #4

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I also have a 9' pontoon for fishing. Pontoons are fairly low volume and only need about 1-3 PSI air pressure. It takes only a few minutes to inflate them by hand, even with a cheap pump.

I use a cheap plastic double action barrel pump like this one...
Standard Double Action Inflation Air Pumps
I think I got mine for around $3 at a thrift store, it has lasted for over 4 years.

I looked at the K Pumps but was turned off by the price. All pumps are prone to getting damaged by sand and dirt and all of them get get knocked overboard and lost forever. I also found the cheap pump was much easier to disassemble for a field repair or cleaning.

With the money I saved I got one of these...
Kwik Tek AIRHEADŽ 12V Air Pump

If you are concerned about saving space you might consider this...
http://www.qualityinflatables.com/pumpfoot.html
When closed up they take up just a little more space than a big sandwich.

River and beach envioroments are really tough on gear. One of my friends gave me some sage advice 'Never take anything on your boat you are not willing to loose' I would much rather drop a $5 pump over board than an $80 K Pump.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
I also have a 9' pontoon for fishing. Pontoons are fairly low volume and only need about 1-3 PSI air pressure. It takes only a few minutes to inflate them by hand, even with a cheap pump.

I use a cheap plastic double action barrel pump like this one...
Standard Double Action Inflation Air Pumps
I think I got mine for around $3 at a thrift store, it has lasted for over 4 years.

I looked at the K Pumps but was turned off by the price. All pumps are prone to getting damaged by sand and dirt and all of them get get knocked overboard and lost forever. I also found the cheap pump was much easier to disassemble for a field repair or cleaning.

With the money I saved I got one of these...
Kwik Tek AIRHEADŽ 12V Air Pump

If you are concerned about saving space you might consider this...
Intex Bellows Foot Pumps for Inflating Inflatab
When closed up they take up just a little more space than a big sandwich.

River and beach envioroments are really tough on gear. One of my friends gave me some sage advice 'Never take anything on your boat you are not willing to loose' I would much rather drop a $5 pump over board than an $80 K Pump.
Cheap is good for some. I choose to purchase bomber quality gear that will not fail me in a compromising situation. The K pump will last forever. Well as long as you keep it on your boat. A few O rings and that's it. Other than a biner, I've not lost items off my boat. (Yet) I'm especially careful with my overpriced K pump. Funny, the folks I raft with always want to use my K pump instead of their barrel pumps.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #6

Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
I have a K-400. It is a great pump, Large barrel for LPHV and small barrel for HPLV for top off.

In regards to the LPHV, I would typically rather be pumping a barrel pump due to body position, but when I want to top off with HPLV, the K pump cannot be beat. I think the K-100 will due for that, but will be useless for LPHV.

Overall I am happy with the K. If it makes a difference, here 4 years after purchase, I did not even remember it was expensive.

Made in OR!

Oh and I have beat the crap out of it, it floats and always works.
yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote