Just ordered a ST 16' Sotar - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-10-2010   #1

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Just ordered a ST 16' Sotar

Fellow boaters,

After 20 years of having a 14' Momentum raft, I finally decided to get a new boat. I settled on the Sotar ST 16' with an alluminum Recretec frame. I've never rowed a Sotar but took a gamble based on their world wide reputation and ordered a boat. My questions are, do any of you have a Sotar and what's your opinion after owning and rowing one yourself. Are they worth the money?
I appreciate any feedback.
Rafter30

rafter30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010   #2

unemployeed
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
way pricy but pretty good, did i say pretty, they do look tits, had a 12 year old sotar that fell apart like grannys stockings, delam, de glue de stitch, this was after 12 hard years of commercial boating in Oregon,,that said, wouldn't buy another inless prices decreases.
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Excellent boats, polyester fabric with bullet proof urethane coating. Abrasion resistance is far better than pvc and even hypalon. The fabric costs Sotar approx. $60. a linear yard, so it's more expensive to everyone. Benefits: rolls up much better than Maravia, and it's far lighter than Hyside or any other comparable boat.

In my opinion, they are well worth the money. That's why I bought my brothers 2 year old 14' ST, that, and he gave me a smoking hot deal!
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010   #4

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by northfwestg View Post
way pricy but pretty good, did i say pretty, they do look tits, had a 12 year old sotar that fell apart like grannys stockings, delam, de glue de stitch, this was after 12 hard years of commercial boating in Oregon,,that said, wouldn't buy another inless prices decreases.
Wow, a welded plastic boat delaminated? That's a first.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #5

medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I bought a 14' three years ago. Best money I ever spent. It rows super light,and tracks awesome.
Dave P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #6

Boulder, Colorado
we have a 15' that's coming up on almost 20 years of service. Needs a bit of glue on the d-rings and the bottom is starting to peel up just a bit. Other than that, no issues...all tubes are solid.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #7
iratehippie

Cave Junction, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I like my 14 footer, 4 yrs. now. I got one cause they are the local raft builder and very nice folks.
iratehippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #8

Boring, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I've had a 18' ST cat with oversized tubes for 3yrs and I love it! It tracks well and the material is very tough and lightweight. The people are great to work with and will customize anyway you want (try that with Aire or Marivia). As for the price, Sotars are a bit spendy but they usually have a sale once a year where they are discounted 10-20% which puts pretty close in price to the other top of the line boats,

I talked to the new owner of Recretec @ the Clackamas Whitewater Festival last month and he seems like a very motivated guy with some good ideas and quality products. He has a copy of Madcatr's frame that looks as good, if not better than the original. I think that you will be happy with your purchase.
rivermaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I love my 15' ST. I have had it 5 years now, and it looks nearly new. (See Pic in Avatar). It is better to keep them inflated if you can. I noticed a few creases where I store it rolled over the winter.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #10

Albany, Oregon
SOTAR/RECRETEC

Hey just wondering...did you get a trailer with that new package?? If so, how do you like it? Where did you buy your package from? How was the customer service?
After 20 years of having a 14' Momentum raft, I finally decided to get a new boat. I settled on the Sotar ST 16' with an alluminum Recretec frame. I've never rowed a Sotar but took a gamble based on their world wide reputation and ordered a boat. My questions are, do any of you have a Sotar and what's your opinion after owning and rowing one yourself. Are they worth the money?
I appreciate any feedback.
Rafter30[/QUOTE]
RecreTec is offline   Reply With Quote