JK 4Fun (& similar) - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-02-2015   #1

San Tan Valley, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
JK 4Fun (& similar)

I really like the new 2015 Fun series, but don't have the cash for a new one, so I thought I would ask some of you fine gentlemen what would be very similar that could be picked up on the cheap.

I am 6'2" and my weight is about 190 currently, (I bounce around between 185-195lbs typically). So perhaps the 4Fun would be better? If so, what other like-boats would fit the bill here?

Also, I currently own the following boats if anyone would be interested in a partial trade:

2013 LL Remix 69
2013 WS Diesel 80
2013 Dagger Axiom 8.5
...and an older Dagger GTX (I forget the year).

BruiseLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015   #2

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
I took a 4Fun on the San Juan at high water and hated it. Steer clear.
AZJefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015   #3
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
I really like the look of the 2015 (redesigned) 4fun. I had a 2009 4fun that was a really great boat for my purposes, and It sounds like the new ones are more like that gen of boats, (2010-2014 funs werent that great....) so if its a new one you're after i'd make sure you get a current one.
CKS in Buena Vista, and 4 corners in Durango both have beginning and end of summer (like in may and august) demo sell-off and boat swap sales.
thats what i would do.... take all your old boats you dont want, get whatever store credit you can off sale or trade-in and turn that into your new setup, with a much smaller cash investment. I do this every other year or so at CKS.... its only 4.5 hrs for my to the local store... def longer for you, but you get to paddle the Ark or anything else around. its a really cool thing they are doing there for us dirtbags, and it sure helps the economy to have Paddlefest and all the summertime visitors.
so there you go. there is hope.
and yes, definitely not smaller then a 4fun size wise.
Cheers
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015   #4

San Tan Valley, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJefe View Post
I took a 4Fun on the San Juan at high water and hated it. Steer clear.
What didn't you like about it, and what year was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abron View Post
I really like the look of the 2015 (redesigned) 4fun. I had a 2009 4fun that was a really great boat for my purposes, and It sounds like the new ones are more like that gen of boats, (2010-2014 funs werent that great....) so if its a new one you're after i'd make sure you get a current one.
CKS in Buena Vista, and 4 corners in Durango both have beginning and end of summer (like in may and august) demo sell-off and boat swap sales.
thats what i would do.... take all your old boats you dont want, get whatever store credit you can off sale or trade-in and turn that into your new setup, with a much smaller cash investment. I do this every other year or so at CKS.... its only 4.5 hrs for my to the local store... def longer for you, but you get to paddle the Ark or anything else around. its a really cool thing they are doing there for us dirtbags, and it sure helps the economy to have Paddlefest and all the summertime visitors.
so there you go. there is hope.
and yes, definitely not smaller then a 4fun size wise.
Cheers
Thanks for that! What other boats would compare with the 2009 & 2015 4Fun?
Old 07-03-2015   #5

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruiseLee View Post
What didn't you like about it, and what year was it?
2015 and I didn't like the seat and the silly Happy Feet bag. It played fine and was fun on sand waves Just not comfortable for a 6-day trip.
AZJefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015   #6

San Tan Valley, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJefe View Post
2015 and I didn't like the seat and the silly Happy Feet bag. It played fine and was fun on sand waves Just not comfortable for a 6-day trip.
Ah, I see. That being the case, I am looking for a good 'river play' boat, not necessarily a multi-day trip boat.

Also, another boat that I have my eye on is the WaveSport Fuse 56. That should compare pretty close to the 4Fun, yeah?
Old 07-03-2015   #7
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Fuse is comparable, I dont like WS (6years with an EZG i can never have back....)
Pyrhana varun,
Liquid logic Freeride (that would be my second choice, probably, behind 4fun.)
https://www.liquidlogickayaks.com/product/LRFR5715.html
Fluid dope
dagger (???)
Imo JK has playboats dialed. the shape, dryness, and comfort are unmatched (for me)
usually the outfitting is the make it or break it factor.
Pyrhana Jedi looks like a badass boat, but that is their full on playboat.
(JK superstar 2012 is my playboat .....also a really good down river playboat, but more aggressive.... )

they also have foam blocks to eliminate the happy feet, and i think thats what comes with new boats now (happy feet are a separate purchase)
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015   #8

San Tan Valley, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by abron View Post
Fuse is comparable, I dont like WS (6years with an EZG i can never have back....)
Pyrhana varun,
Liquid logic Freeride (that would be my second choice, probably, behind 4fun.)
https://www.liquidlogickayaks.com/product/LRFR5715.html
Fluid dope
dagger (???)
Imo JK has playboats dialed. the shape, dryness, and comfort are unmatched (for me)
usually the outfitting is the make it or break it factor.
Pyrhana Jedi looks like a badass boat, but that is their full on playboat.
(JK superstar 2012 is my playboat .....also a really good down river playboat, but more aggressive.... )

they also have foam blocks to eliminate the happy feet, and i think thats what comes with new boats now (happy feet are a separate purchase)
What did you dislike about the EZG?
Old 07-03-2015   #9

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
I didn't like the happy feet at first, then I watched a video on how to use it, and now I find it pretty great. From what the Jackson website said, last I checked, the bulkhead and happy feet are optional. You have your choice of either.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015   #10

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
There site is only showing Happy feet, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it written that you can opt for a foam bulkhead if you choose.
FUN (River Run/Play) - Jackson Kayak
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote