Jackson Zen Size - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2018   #1

Grass Valley, California
Paddling Since: 1995
Jackson Zen Size

I am 5' 10" and 185. Per the Jackson site, I fall into the large category for a Zen. I have sat in both a large and a medium, and the medium felt similar to my Super Hero. The large seemed really large.
Does anyone have thoughts on the "official size chart"??

Thanks.

fcpnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2018   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Jackson has made a ton of zen's and they tested the hell out of them with paddlers of all shapes and sizes. Nobody on this board is more qualified to size you out than Jackson. If they say large, then IMHO - I'd go large.

The supper hero is a POS and completely under sized fat hole magnet turd that requires a high skill set to paddle technical water. Its a surf/play boat best used on easy 4 and down.
Old 06-04-2018   #3

Grass Valley, California
Thanks- I have had my SH for about 9 years. Got into kayaking and got a serious concussion in 2012, two weeks before my son was born. My wife told me that she did not want to teach two people their ABC's..

I took a break and went back to IK and rafting.

Started kayaking again in 2016 and tore my rotater cuff, labrum and bicep tendon... that put me on hold for about a year and a half.

Started again, and am looking for a new boat. Looking at the Zen or the the Mamba.

Thanks.
fcpnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2018   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
I'm your same size, I didn't love the Large or Medium. If you think you want to get a Zen, you really want a Nirvana. It's an awesome boat.
Ranye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018   #5

flagstaff, Arizona
or a medium karma! i'm 5'9" @165lbs - i think you'd be right in there at the top of the chart- sweet boat fur sur!
shoptech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018   #6

Nampa, Idaho
I'd definitely say the large but if you're not a particularly aggressive paddler, the medium would work pretty well too

The medium Nirvana is the hot boat design these days so check that out but could be difficult to find one used right now.

Even the medium karma is a good recommendation for your size if you are looking to maybe find something that performs well on the cheaper end.

Plenty of other boats including the Mamba would serve you really well, just find a modern design that you know fits you to size and a boat that you can be comfortable sitting in for a long time.
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018   #7

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Jackson Zen Medium

I have a Zen Medium and I am 5'8" and 185. It is very comfortable and still roomy. I had to carve out the foam in front of the bulkhead to make room for leg extension. You would have to do this as well to get it comfortable. If possible, I would demo both the M and L size. I do like the boat a lot, but I don't really do Class V anymore, just up to class IV or IV+. I see a lot of Nirvana's here in Steamboat among the younger Class V crowd, so that would also be a possibility. I paddled a Dagger Mamba in Ecuador over the winter and liked that as well.
Oldschool K1 is offline   Reply With Quote