Jackson Traverse vs Jackson RG:Yet another self-support boat question - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 01-22-2018   #1

Cody, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2013
Jackson Traverse vs Jackson RG:Yet another self-support boat question

I know the subject has been beat to hell, but nothing I have found makes the decision any easier for me. We will be on a Grand Canyon Self-Support this summer. I am having a hard time deciding between the Jackson Karma RG and the Jackson Traverse. I understand that it is hard to compare as they are basically from two different classes of boats. So far, the Traverse has everything that I love: More volume, wider cockpit, less weight, closer to my opt weight, wider dry hatch, and accessory mounts....BUT obviously at 10'4 it will not be as fast as the RG at 11"10. The rest of my group members are all using long boats (RG's, Stingers, Green Boats). I am worried if I go with the Traverse that I will be lagging behind. I don't think the RG is bad choice, but I feel like I'd be more comfortable in the Traverse besides potentially being the slowest member of the group. Does anyone have any experience with the Traverse in a self-support group of long-boaters? Any opinions either way are greatly appreciated. I need to get my order in ASAP.

taylorhensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018   #2

Durango, Colorado
Don't worry about it. We took several Katana's and a Traverse, along with several RGs and a Green Boat on our last trip. Neither had a problem keeping up. The Traverse is surprisingly fast, plus having the larger hatch cover is worth it. You can also get their Hard Hat cover that makes it easy to securely carry your groover tube outside the boat.

We do have a demo RG up for sale currently, but are out of Katana's and Traverse's at the moment.

https://www.riversports.com/rs/produ...ckson-Karma-RG
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018   #3

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
I own a Katana 10.4.
Did the MFS of the salmon in it last August.
There were days where my light weight friend in a large Karma out paddles me. I was longer and had a skeg.

That being said, I would not want a boat much longer than the 10.4. The longer boat will be better on the Grand, but what about other rivers?? And once the skeg is down, you will toast anyone w/o a skeg when it comes to the swirly eddies on the Grand

I personally would take a large hatch / easier loading than length the extra length.
You can either be a bit slower on the water, or WAAY faster on shore.
That Karma RG hole looks tiny. I would take the larger hole. You can quote me.
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018   #4

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
I'm gonna remove this comment as I have respect for 4CRS riversports. It had a link to another item.
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018   #5

Cody, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2013
I forgot to mention that I am a little larger than a typical paddler as well. 6' and around 220 w/o gear. So...also a little worried the RG will feel tight. I'm wondering if anyone else feels that way too.
taylorhensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
There is a family on the grand right now doing 15 day self support with traverses. A younger girl, mother and father, all in the same type boat.

Both boats were built on a medium platform, so they tend to run a tick narrower than say a large karma. I’d have t o suggest the traverse as well, I think it will handle the bigger water better.

Enjoy the trip.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018   #7

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorhensen View Post
I forgot to mention that I am a little larger than a typical paddler as well. 6' and around 220 w/o gear. So...also a little worried the RG will feel tight. I'm wondering if anyone else feels that way too.
I'm 6'2 190 and now own a Traverse 10, fits great. The other guy on our trip was 6'3 and 215. He had no issues with fit or performance.

Our boats weight close to 175lbs fully loaded and paddled just fine. They're meant to haul a big load.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018   #8

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Hi, I’m just off a Winter Grand Trip. Like Bob mentioned it was my wife and daughter (age 13) and two friends. We all took Traverses. My daughter Abby is 113 lbs and used the Traverse 9 and me being 200+ in the Traverse 10. It did great for everyone and we easily did 30 mile days and one 45er to Pierce. I think unless your friends are just racing the whole time you won’t have any problem keeping up and you will have more fun than in a long boat. You will be able to turn much quicker and having the larger rear hatch opening makes loading gear much easier. Get the Hard Hat accessory to carry your groover and the neoprene skirt for the rear hatch really keeps it dry in big water. I ran with the skegg down most of the time and found it tracked straight through all the boily water. This boat was super comfy and worked amazing! Let me know if you have any questions. Facebook: @peter.holcombe
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote