Jackson Super hero as 1 boat quiver? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-22-2012   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Jackson Super hero as 1 boat quiver?

Relatively new to WW kayaking. Have dabbled over the years, ready to get a bit more serious. Currently have a BigEZ I picked up last fall, paddled in local playpark a bit. Kills my ankles, would like a bit more stability. I'll go the playpark regularly, because it is right down the street, but frankly have no interest in anything beyond some basic front surf. If for some reason I change my mind, I'll buy a second boat (or live with sore ankles from time to time I guess)

Sat in a super hero, thought it felt great. (6', 200ish, size 11s). From reading reviews, I think it will fit my goals well as far as river running. Mainly planning on class III, maybe some IV-.

Will it front surf reasonably well? Also considering the Diesel and Mamba, shopping used so what becomes available nearby might get the nod anyway, just looking for advice and passing time until it gets just a touch warmer.

wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012   #2

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I couldn't agree more.. If you primarily want to river run the Super Hero is such a great option because it's easy to paddle, super stable, and turns easily. It surfs unbelievably well for being a "creeker" type river running kayak..

I do suspect that you could become comfortable on class 3/4- and want to push your limits a bit further into the realm of class IV. This boat will take you there.

But you also have a whitewater playpark near you. You should try out a modern large playboat, they look smaller than the BigEZ, and they are, but you have much more footroom.

It might be worth demo'ing a Jackson Super Star (or large Rock Star) at some point. Playboating is pretty fun.
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #3
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Super Hero is a solid boat! For me, and I am not trying make anyone mad on here, I felt the hero surfed better than both the diesel and Mamba. But I "think" the Hero can get pushed around a bit more in pushy water. I floated a stomper two weeks ago and I would really like to boat that thing a bit more. I liked it. All three boats mentioned are awsome boats.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012   #4

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Whether or not the SuperHero will be your 1 boat quiver depends on your style of paddling. I paddle with some people that perfer a creeker like kayak as their single do it all kayak.

The SuperHero is roomy, comfy, surfs well, very forgiving, makes running the harder stuff easy, has room to pack gear, etc. After paddling one last summer I decided it wasn't the 1 quiver boat for me. I like a boat that offers more play than the SuperHero. After the novelty of the SuperHero wore off I found myself bored on most of the runs I did (class III/IV) in it. I'm not a big play boater by any means but I do enjoy playing during the run (surfing, squirts, wave splats, rock splats, stalls, endos, etc).

The newer kayaks offer big gains in ergonomic comfort over the BigEz. I personally like the Jackson SuperFun (I weigh 250lbs). The new Jackson Zen looks like an interesting mix of river runner with more playbility than the SuperHero.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #5

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
The 4Fun or Super Fun are great suggestions that are more playful, and I highly suggest trying something like one of those if you really don't intend to push beyond class 4-.

I paddle the new Zen, and I paddle the large. It feels smaller than my large Villain (and the volume is 12 gallons less) but it is slightly longer (8'10") It is one of the longer designs out today. Definitely great in a front surf on a nice wave, but not in any way a "freestyle design."

The flat hull makes it front or back surf well, but the Super Hero's shorter length would likely make flat spins and hole surfing a bit easier.

Another few cents from me..

-Micah Kneidl
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #6
Jackson

Herndon, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2012
I like this topic...

A friend and I are looking to pick up the Jackson Villain. We were wondering ourselves about how versatile it really is. This is super useful. Keep it going.
Wookie Kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #7

Indian Hills, Colorado
To provide some dissent: I don't believe in the one boat quiver theory unless you spend all your time on one type of run. I think you'd be happiest to have one big volume boat (like a super hero) for when you are pushing your boundaries and one playboat for the park and for rivers that are well within your comfort zone. If cost is a consideration, there are a ton of used boats on the market to meet your needs and you should be able to find a great used playboat for about $300 and a great used big volume boat for about $450.

Happy surfing.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #8

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Good points about a quiver of boats. If you can afford it go for it as it will give you various options from day to day.

The more you paddle the more you'll develop or determine your preferred style of paddling, the type of runs you prefer to paddle, and which of the many boats on the market today you prefer and why (fit, comfort, performance, etc).

In the meantime, find a local pool that is open for kayak roll practice, go and meet some people, and try out every boat you can fit in. Find out what is comfortable, what is easy to roll, etc. (Hint: Mulberry Pool, Fort Collins, Weds nights from 8-10 p.m., all types of kayaks and opinions).

Based only on the class of water you said you'll be paddling this coming year (III-IV-), here's my opinion:

Confidence, stability, comfort, ease of running from start to finish, ability to step it up to harder more technical runs, and limited playbility: river runner or creeker (ie. SuperHero, Villian, Mamba, Diesel, Burn, etc).

Action, limitless play options, pushing your limits daily, climbing the steep learning curve fast: Playboat (ie. Star, Rockstar, Molan, Project, etc).

Middle of the road, a little bit of everything while not excelling at any one thing: River Play: (ie, Fuse, Varun, Fun, FreeRide, Ammo etc). Note: ALL are WAY more comfy than the Ez series.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #9

Indian Hills, Colorado
I'll throw in there that as a pyranha fan, I find the now-out-dated S6 200 to be a comfortable river-runner playboat that can often be picked up very, very cheap.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Thanks for all the feedback, and I do suspect that at some point I may want to pick up a play-boat. Ended up picking up a last years SuperHero today, cant wait to get it wet.

Sam
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote