Jackson is so frustrating - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-24-2019   #1

Jackson is so frustrating

Iíve wanted to buy Jackson boats in the past, but I weigh 185 lbs. This seems to put me in an unenviable position. I almost always find myself at the very top end of a medium Jackson or the very bottom of a large...with regards to weight. This coming season, Iíve decided I want to paddle an Antix. Top end for medium is 190. Bottom end for Large is 180. Demoing is not possible. Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated!

Mardaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019   #2

Testes Park, Colorado
I paddle an 2014 superstar and a large antix. I am 190 and 6'1. The superstar is perfect, but the antix does seem a bit big and i have schemes of switching over to the dagger axiom.
dirtbag69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag69 View Post
I paddle an 2014 superstar and a large antix. I am 190 and 6'1. The superstar is perfect, but the antix does seem a bit big and i have schemes of switching over to the dagger axiom.
Interesting. Why to an axiom, from the Antix? Because of the size issue? Did you paddle the medium Antix? We’re you able to squirt the large Antix successfully?
Sorry...so many questions!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019   #4

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardaver View Post
Iíve wanted to buy Jackson boats in the past, but I weigh 185 lbs. This seems to put me in an unenviable position. I almost always find myself at the very top end of a medium Jackson or the very bottom of a large...with regards to weight. This coming season, Iíve decided I want to paddle an Antix. Top end for medium is 190. Bottom end for Large is 180. Demoing is not possible. Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated!
I can relate to the same issue as you have. I'm too tall to fit the boat for my weight so I have to size up.

I'm 6'8" 210 lbs, paddling a monstar, designed for 210lbs to 300lbs. I find it's hard to manipulate since my long legs don't have much mass so I struggle throwing the front down. I have no issues squirting as all I need to do is use my height to lean back. I can't fit into the previous 3 rockstars, but I see the 4.0 actually has more leg room so we shall see this season.

I tried the large antix and was bummed to find the bow is actually pretty short comparatively. I sat in the large axiom and immediately was stoked. There is much more bow on that boat than the jackson.

I guess what I'm saying is that I can relate to your issue and you've got to go with what fits, not with what brand you want to paddle. To be honest, after paddling jackson boats for 10+ years I'm blown away with how comfortable the outfitting is in the dagger. The ratchet below your legs makes the seat super plush. I'll miss the jackson bulkhead tho and the lack of holes in the boat keeping it super dry. Oh well, the best part about this sport is the boats are relatively affordable compared to my other favorites...mtn biking and skiing, but I digress.
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019   #5

I have nothing to add other than yes...6'3" and 175 puts me into the largest sizes, floating high. Not the most ideal scenario.
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019   #6

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Wait, I thought the only reason Kayakers fit into those tiny little boats, was because don’t have any legs, you haven’t cut yours off yet?!?!?
matt man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Not just Jackson, and not just big and tall people! Iím a 5í8Ē 135 lb woman and Iím always right between small and medium playboats from any manufacturer. Canít fit in a small rockstar but the medium is too big.
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019   #8

I guess this is an issue with people of all different sizes and statures! For me, it always seems to be Jackson. I have paddled many different boats over the years. I typically try to be as close to the middle of the suggested weight range as possible. This has always served me well. Dagger boats, at least for me, seem to be the easiest fit. I am pretty set on the Antix, however. It seems to me to have the attributes I'm looking for the most. Creekable and playable.
Does anyone have any experience with this boat i.e. have paddled both a medium and large. I'd be curious to hear your weight and impressions.
Old 03-25-2019   #9

Portland, Oregon
I'm 180# and demoed a medium antix recently. It was horribly uncomfortable - almost the worst I've been in, and I've crammed myself into plenty of old school slicy playboats. The narrow hull and steep rocker under the bow makes it super slow front surfing and it would just sink into the trough and then get sucked out the back by the low volume stern. The bow is still too big to throw down into anything but a significant feature, and sidesurfing is just stupid because the bow/stern balance is so out of wack. Stern squirts/splats were fun, but you can find a boat that does those well and isn't as terrible at everything else.

I still might try the large.
jbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019   #10

Commercial Paleontology
Hello Mardaver,

First...I am curious as to where you live & will be doing most of your paddling? And what is your goal with this boat in terms of what kind of water you will be paddling?

I wouldnt get too hung up on Jacksons stated weight top & bottom. You mentioned your weight but not your height. Have you sat in both size boats? If so; which felt more comfortable? I just bought the Antix. I am 6'3" 215 lb. I had to get the large because of my leg length not necessarily due to the weight issue. Sometimes it just depends on how playful you want a boat to be when pushing the weight limits.

Feel free to call up Jackson directly & chat with them on what they feel would be best. I certainly did. I have been paddling a Superstar & SuperFun for years now & have been very satisfied boatwise & with their customer service. The guy I talked to had paddled alot of the same water as I had back East & out West so we were able to compare our paddling styles in order to select properly since I wasnt really going to be demoing prior to my purchase,

Good luck.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote