Jackson creekboat durability???? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-09-2015   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Jackson creekboat durability????

Ok, so I'm probably tossing a grenade at the gorilla in the room, starting this topic, but I am really interested to hear what CO boaters have to say about this. I am a long-time Nomad paddler, switched to a Stomper 90 two years ago, and have never broken either one. I "wore out" two Nomads, sold the third and it is still going strong as far as I know. I am VERY intrigued by the Karma M, but am also pretty skeptical of the durability of the outfitting, the seat connections to the hull, and just the boat in general.

For better or worse, it seems like you guys paddle mankier stuff than we do up here in WY and ID. So it stands to reason that you put boats to a tougher test. Whether you love the Karma or hate it isn't what I'm after. I am interested to hear how it holds up to abuse, plain and simple. I can't get my hands on a Flying Squirrel to test-drive it, and I don't like Pyranha's outfitting or prices up here, so am looking hard at the Karma. I love the way it paddles, have demo-d it twice so far and will again on the Bear this weekend. I'm just curious to hear whether or not the boat (and the outfitting) is holding up to agressive Western creekboating. Any and all replies appreciated, unless you are just badmouthing Jackson boats without real-world experiences to back it up. Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Broke several nomads like toothpicks on colorado mank. The first karma L I got lasted longer than any other creek boat I have had. I break a boat every year and the karma lasted 2 yrs. in my book it's as good as the competition on durability. I mainly paddle 4/5 and get 50-70 days per season. Lots of mank.

I personally like the Jackson outfitting. Never really had any issues with its durability. I could see the ropes wearing out, but that's an easy in the field fix.

Any conversation about durability should have warranty as part of it. Jackson has a generous warranty program. I know from first hand experience there.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #3

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
The Jackson SL plastic is pretty good, my kid boofed onto a sharp rock and it gouged it deep, stretched the plastic inwords but did not break/tear/leak. The current owner is still going strong on same gouge. I have heard of some minor oil canning on the MD's but have only dealt with cracked cross linked boats older than 2011- ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015   #4

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
I've got 150+ days in my Med Karma. Most of my paddling is mank ELF boating on the Ark. I'm not using it as hard as a class 5 boater but it has stood up well. Before this boat I paddled a Nomad from the day they first came out. Loved the Nomad, love the Karma quite a bit more. The outfitting is outstanding, IMHO. Best bulkhead made.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #5

Portland, Oregon
I hear ya on the durability concern. I demo'd a medium karma one day and came away with an enormous crease/dent that I had no idea about until I put it on the car at the takeout. Normally you at least feel the impact and are expecting some damage when you look for it, but not that day.

Could have been bad luck I suppose, but I went with a different brand.
jbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I started a similar thread last year...

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...tic-54430.html
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #7

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Jackson creekers are durable, safer, and better performing than the other brands. Find the correct seat location for you and customize the outfitting for the best boat you can own. Scroll down to my review at https://www.riversports.com/blog/ for more details. Call Tony at 4CRS about his gnar exams and your next boat purchase.
Cheers!
Ken Vanatta
Old 04-10-2015   #8

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vanatta View Post
Jackson creekers are durable, safer, and better performing than the other brands. Find the correct seat location for you and customize the outfitting for the best boat you can own. Scroll down to my review at https://www.riversports.com/blog/ for more details. Call Tony at 4CRS about his gnar exams and your next boat purchase.
Cheers!
Ken Vanatta

thank you, that was a thorough write up.

I enjoyed reading your review, and agree with your outlook and advice on outfitting and seat position.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I think Jackson's plastic is as good or maybe a bit better than its competitors, but if you're prizing durability over all else, get a Prijon Pure (especially since they're back to importing them into the US). My Pure lasted four years on Class V CO mank, and what killed it would have killed any boat out there (5 miles or so of class IV-V, including a number of dam drops, pilot-less and full of water).
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #10

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
Jackson creekboat durability????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vanatta View Post
Cheers!
Ken Vanatta

Wow, safer is a big statement. I wouldn't consider a Jackson any safer than other brands. They all have plus or minus's. The Uni shock bulkhead is a nice option on the ankles but the strings can be a weakness for the unishock/backband and realistically how many paddlers out there actually need that level of protection? Daggers creek step out is fantastic but has a fixed foot and is heavy. A piton with a threat of crush/collapsed hull IS more realistic a threat to 90% of the paddlers out there than a huge drop/ankle threat. See what I mean? 1 isn't necessarily safer than the other.....I have had both brands and like them both, just for different reasons. But that is just my view on it. Both brands break and both brands have safe features, buy the boat that fits the paddler and has safety features designed for the paddlers intended purpose/ability.

Peace Out

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote