Jackson 2Fun 2015 vs. Wavesport Fuse 48 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-30-2018   #1

Manawatu, New Zealand
Paddling Since: 2016
Jackson 2Fun 2015 vs. Wavesport Fuse 48

Hi all,

I'd appreciate it if someone could answer a couple of questions. I'm currently looking for a boat that will allow me to run grade 2-3 and play on all the features on the way down. I'm not a particularly good paddler so a kayak that helps me learn would be really handy. Something that could be used on flatwater for practice (bow stalls, squirts etc) would be great.

I've paddled a Jackson 2Fun 2007 (2nd gen.) a couple of times and absolutely loved it even if it was a bit of a squeeze. If there was one of these available I would likely buy it. However, around here river running play boats that fit me (5'7" - 140lb) are very scarce. It looks like I may have to buy a new kayak without even the opportunity to test-paddle it first!

Both the Jackson 2Fun and Wavesport Fuse 48 look like likely candidates. I could at least sit in the Fuse to test for fit and it would be cheaper than the 2Fun. But, I do like the Jackson outfitting and have had a great time in the old model.

Does the extra volume in the 2015 2Fun greatly reduce the playability (esp. for getting vertical on flat water) over the older models? Would this make the Fuse 48 a better bet, or is the Fuse just as big? Does the fact that the Fuse is a relatively old design negatively impact it how it performs? Since I can squeeze into the old 2Fun, and the new one appears bigger, would I comfortably fit the 2015 2Fun?

A big rant but any answers (or further info) would be awesome.

TIA,
John

jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2018   #2

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
My kids cycled through all 4 generations of the 2Fun, and also used a Fuse48 for a while, so here are some thoughts:

1. Of the 4 designs of the 2Fun, my kids most liked the 3rd generation (2010-2014) with the squared off stern. They thought that was the most well balanced, most comfortable, and most playful model.

2. I upgraded my kids to the 4th gen (2015) 2Fun and Fun, neither of them liked the design compared to the 3rd gen. Both of them moved onto Jackson Rockstars a few months later, which are a better fit their paddling preference/style (class III river running/playboating).

3. The knee position on the 2015 2Fun is more narrow than what you used on the 2007 (2nd gen) 2Fun.

4. See the pictures below for a comparison on 2nd gen (yellow), 3rd gen (blue/green) and 4th gen (lime green) 2Fun kayaks.

5. The Fuse48 is more like the 2nd generation 2Fun. It's a good, fun, all around river running / river play kayak. You'll likely find it more playful than the 4th gen 2Fun. In the picture below it's the red/white/blue kayak. Notice the knee position is further apart than the 2Fun it's next to? The cockpit is wider at the front. This shouldn't be a problem at your height/weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2Fun_a.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	748.6 KB
ID:	28986   Click image for larger version

Name:	2Fun_b.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	28994  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2Fun_3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	973.3 KB
ID:	29002   Click image for larger version

Name:	2FunFuse48.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	925.6 KB
ID:	29010  

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018   #3

Manawatu, New Zealand
Paddling Since: 2016
Thanks so much for that FatmanZ!

It seems to confirm what I was already thinking. Pretty disappointing because I was all set to love the 2015 2Fun. I guess I'll hold out for a while, in the hope that a 2nd or 3rd gen 2Fun becomes available, before making a firm decision on the Fuse 48.
jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote