Jacks vs. Maravia vs. Aire paco pads - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-14-2011   #1
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
Jacks vs. Maravia vs. Aire paco pads

So I'm thinking about finally getting a good sleeping pad for an upcoming Grand Canyon trip and I want to get some opinions on which one to get.
Obviously Jacks makes the best pads available. But they're kinda pricey, especially considering I think I want a 4".
Maravia makes a similar looking pad that actually has leafield valves on it. It is like $100 cheaper than a Jacks, but is it as bomber as their boats?? Anyone ever have any bad experiences with one?? Weight and rolled up size will probably be more than a Jacks, but that's not too big an issue for me. Durability vs. a Jacks pad is my biggest concern.
In looking around the interwebs I also found a pad from Aire called the landing pad. It looks ok and is cheaper than the other 2, but I've never even heard of one before. Once again, does anyone know if it's as bomber as their boats??
OK, buzzards, I need some advise, so lets hear what ya got to say!! Any and all opinions greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011   #2

Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I have had the jacks pads and the maravia silverback. Never had any dealings with the aire landing pad, I believe it is a pad they import.

The jacks were never comfy enough for me or the wife or my friends and the valve is completely irritating!! It takes forever to deflate so I got a silverback and it was a huge difference. My friends all bought sleep pads from Canyon, They are around 150.00 for a 4" thick pad I think and have a C7 leafield valve like the silverback which is great to inflate and deflate.

I just sold my paco and still have a maravia silverback up for sale on this site. I will buy the Canyon pad after my silverback sells just because they made my boat and it matches my colors , other than that everybody in my camp prefers the silverback or Canyon 4" pad.
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
I am curious if anyone with a Jack's Paco has ever put a leafield valve on it. That should solve the small valve issue with deflation.

Any one done this mod?
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011   #4

Coos Bay, Oregon
I don't know if a C7 will fit on the side of the jacks pad, the valve just fits on a 4" thick pad. The 4" pads roll up almost as small as the 3" thick pads but that extra thickness sure makes a difference sleeping zzzzzz.
Click image for larger version

Name:	canyonpad.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	4198
Old 12-14-2011   #5

I’ve owned the Aire Landing Pad and Paco Silverback (make sure you know who’s referring to what since the Maravia is also the Silverback, both are 4”)

The Landing Pad for the price is a heavy duty pad but I got about 5 years of use on mine. The corners where the fabric folds started to the wear through (no big deal to pinhole patch with some UV repair) and I started feeling it on the hips so the foam was probably breaking down. For the price if you don’t mind replacing every several years it’s a good, albeit heavy and wide, pad.

The Paco Silverback I’ve only had for a year and it has been excellent. I sleep great on this thing….Ledges camp on the Grand and couldn’t feel the rock, it’s a great pad that according to everyone’s accounts lasts forever. I slept great on my two weeks down there on it and a few trips after.

I don’t have experience with the Maravia Silverback and every time this thread comes up there seems to be a lack of input on those. A few people will like them but I haven’t heard of anyone having one a long period yet. Apparently, according to jack’s website, they used to make the Silverback pad for Cascade and when Maravia starting making their own kept the name, thus two companies using it. Last year I heard Maravia started using different foam in their pad so you might also want to try to hear from someone using the current version. I keep being tempted to buy one for my wife to compare to the Paco but she keeps limping along on her Landing Pad.

I think it would be very easy to swap out a Leafield valve for the stock on the 4” Paco. If it’s thinner you could go with a Summit valve which is what they use on the 3” Aire pads. Seems like I read Jack will build one with a different valve if you want it. It is slower but you get used to it, the 4” has two. On the Grand I just used it across the front deck so never rolled it up.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #6

Coos Bay, Oregon
[ Last year I heard Maravia started using different foam in their pad so you might also want to try to hear from someone using the current version.]

Osprey makes a good point , I forgot jacks makes a silverback also. Maravia was the one I was talking about. And also maravia pad did feel a little soft on the foam so I dont know how long it will last before the foam breaks down.
Old 12-14-2011   #7

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Sotar makes a couple different pads and there valve is the same as there boats. I have seen a lot of them used and they look pretty sweet. Made in america...
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #8

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladderboy
Sotar makes a couple different pads and there valve is the same as there boats. I have seen a lot of them used and they look pretty sweet. Made in america...
I'm pretty sure i remember calling the factories and Sotar is imported currently. Last i checked (last summer) maravia says still domestic and Jacks for sure is

I have the jacks silverback and its very comfy. Got it used for $140. I use it on a roll a cot and sleep as comfortable as at home
Old 12-14-2011   #9

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladderboy View Post
Sotar Made in america...
Cheryl told me the Sotar pads are imported.
Old 12-14-2011   #10

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Sorry about that, I just figured since they were making boats there that they would be making there pads there.
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire