Is the Dagger Mamba 8.0 too small for me? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-07-2013   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Is the Dagger Mamba 8.0 too small for me?

I'm a beginner and recently purchased a Dagger Mamba 8.0 (probably a 2006 or so, not the creeker version). I just got in it and played with the outfitting. I'm 6'0 and 185 pounds and have long legs for my height. I felt a little strange inside the boat. I felt cramped a little and kinda felt like my feet weren't sitting right on the foot rests (only my toes were touching). Does anybody know what size person this boat is supposed to accommodate?

RyanHostetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013   #2

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
Should be fine weight wise but you will have to paddle it to see where the seat position should be with your leg size. If the stern feels grabby move the seat ahead a notch at a time until the grabby feeling is reduced or eliminated. Foot pegs should adjust forward as well.
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013   #3

Denver, Colorado
I'm wondering how my feet should sit inside the boat. I have size 11 or 12 feet and, the way I sit in the boat now, my feet have to sit with my toes pointing slightly forward. Does this mean that I'm too big for my boat? I was imagining that my feet would sit flat on the foot pegs / bulkhead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013   #4

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Ryan...does the boat have foot pegs or a foam bulkhead. I have a 7.5 mamba. My toes always point a little forward - but out to the sides...does this make sense? I think it would be quite uncomfortable for me to have them completely flat. Just make sure your foot cannot get stuck behind anything in the boat.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013   #5

Denver, Colorado
I have the seat as far back as it goes and the foot pegs almost as far up as they will go. My heels (in socks) are an inch or two apart behind the foam and my feet point slightly forward with my toes bent and the front part of my feet resting on the foot pegs. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to get out of the boat and there isn't anything blocking me, although I wonder what it would be like with booties on. I tried to get in with my tennis shoes on and couldn't get into the boat.
Old 11-09-2013   #6

bc, CA
My husband has the same problem. In that case you will need to buy a pair of paddling socks and just wear those, then keep a pair of light runners or something behind your seat for portages and getting to and from the river. You can get neoprene socks with thin rubber on the bottom so they last longer. The mamba is a great boat.
Old 11-09-2013   #7

Denver, Colorado
I wonder if the problem might be solved if I sold the boat and bought a larger Mamba? Then again, I might not be able to find the deal on a larger one that I found on this one.
Old 11-09-2013   #8

bc, CA
You are in the right weight range for this boat, but the 8.5 would be longer.
Dagger Kayaks - Discontinued Models - Mamba 8.0

If you are new to paddling it is not un-natural to feel very cramped in a boat. It is so different than anything else we do. I love feeling tight in my boats. Makes me feel more in control. Yup...I did say boats. Some women buy purses and shoes. I buy boats. Ha Ha.
Old 11-10-2013   #9

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
If your legs are longer than average, the cockpit may be too small for you. The 8.5 would probably solve this for you, but it's a slug of a boat. It's not a bad boat, it's just not a very responsive design.

You said that your foot board is almost all the way forward. Try moving the board all the way up and get back in the boat while wearing your river shoes. It's ok for the fit to be a little snug. You'll want your thighs to brace up snugly into the thigh braces. It will feel awkward at first.

Have you been out on the river with your boat yet? If not, I would recommend signing up with a club or a commercial operation that specializes in teaching beginner kayaking skills before you go and buy another boat. Or, go with a friend who is willing to instruct you. This is an essential part of learning to kayak. These folks can help you get fitted to your boat while you are learning. A commercial operation might even have other boats for you to try out as part of their package of instruction.

Welcome to the wild and crazy world of whitewater kayaking!
Old 11-10-2013   #10

Denver, Colorado
I think I'm going to fit into the boat, although it isn't as comfortable as I was hoping / expecting. That seems to be par for the course, though. No matter how I set things up, I seem to have cramped feet. I probably won't be able to tell whether my booties will fit in until I buy them. (The New Balance 574s I was trying to get in with probably aren't comparable, I'm thinking).

I'm definitely planning on taking lessons this offseason before ever trying to get on the water. I'm planning on joining Colorado Whitewater Association, taking their lessons and going on their cruises to get started.