Is salt water bad for dry tops? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-20-2012   #1

Gunnison, 81230
Paddling Since: 2005
Is salt water bad for dry tops?

If not what should I wash it with afterward?

wabisabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
It is hard on the gaskets. the rest should be fine. I wash mine in a bucket with simple green/water then rinse and hang it to dry. If you are really worried you can 303 the gaskets as well.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
If you paddle in salt water and leave it to dry frequently (without rinsing in fresh), especially if you get splashed a lot, but not fully immersed, salt can start to build up in the fabric. Salt attracts moisture, so you'll always be damp.

A good fresh-water rinse will take care of it.

TriBri, do you use the Simple Green to keep the "funk" from growing?
I hadn't heard that about gaskets.
I don't paddle in salt water frequently...but my friends on the coast say their gear starts to get pretty funky. Sea water is a pretty fertile medium for bacteria to grow.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012   #4

San Juan Islands, Washington
Never had any problems, but I rinse my gear every time and 303 a few times a year.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012   #5

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
TriBri, do you use the Simple Green to keep the "funk" from growing?
I hadn't heard that about gaskets.
I don't paddle in salt water frequently...but my friends on the coast say their gear starts to get pretty funky. Sea water is a pretty fertile medium for bacteria to grow.
I frequently pee in my drysuit to stay warm, so it is good to unfunk it

Yeah, I use Simple Green to cut the body oils and the funk. I do the same rinse on my gear after freshwater trips too is it is a warm day and I start sweating hard. When I was guiding everyday my gear gets pretty ripe. We would wash the customer gear daily the same way.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks for the Simple Green tip. Only my wetsuit booties get funky. Besides, who doesn't like the root beer scent!

When your gaskets grab the hair on your wrists or head, it's past time for more 303!!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #7

SW, Colorado
Salt water residue crusts up if you don't rinse with freshwater. On long ocean trips where the paddler can't access freshwater daily, sprayskirts start turning white from accumulated salts. It gets stinky after only a few days (been there, done that).

Even after just one use in saltwater, if you don't rinse the item it will not dry out. The pores in the fabric faces get clogged with salt. This also means that Gore-tex will not be as breathable as it should be. The vapor from sweat needs to vent out the micropores, and if your gear is salt-clogged this won't happen.

A simple rinse removes the obvious salt. What a lot of people don't realize is that the edges of sprayskirts will still be full of salt; that's why even after hosing off a sprayskirt and hanging up to dry, the main deck area will dry out but the edges feel damp and they will stay that way unless soaked out.
H2UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #8

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Salt crystals also act like shards of glass in your fabric, wearing it out over time. A good freshwater soaking is essential before your fabric dries