Is my gortex failing? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2014   #1

cape may, New Jersey
Is my gortex failing?

I have noticed the past few times paddling my top looks wet in spots on the inside. I have only had this top about 5 months and have paddled it a few dozen times but this is the first time I have noticed this. I don't feel wet or excessively cold. My thermal shirt looks like it is a little spotty but I assumed was sweet. The large area is the back panel and the drip liking spot is the front neck gasket.

It's just odd like with the back panel that the one section looks wet but the tape and next panel doesn't. Is this maybe just from sweet? Thanks all for the look.

Murphy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-6284929.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	540.3 KB
ID:	7677   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2072456130.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	7678  

homeworld8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014   #2

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
I'm no expert but if your seams are still good, try spraying the whole thing with a DWR liquid. (the outside) Looks like your material might not be beading up the water as well as it should.
Old 02-15-2014   #3

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
Though, if it's only 5 months old...that shouldn't be the issue. Could it just be condensation building up from the material not breathing fast enough???
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014   #4

cape may, New Jersey
Hmm interesting. The seams seem to be good, I don't get wet. I sent and email to kokatat explaining the situation. I recently sprayed it with 303 for theirselves time the other day along with the rest of my gear. 303 is the recommended product by kokatat so I wouldn't think that it would have degraded the shell.
Old 02-15-2014   #5

cape may, New Jersey
You can even kinda see the spots here after it has dried. I let it dry and store it hanging so I wouldn't think it would get moldy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3328212918.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	455.2 KB
ID:	7679   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-390957938.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	7680  

Name:	image-1036911689.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	7681  
Old 02-15-2014   #6

., Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
303 is generally used for latex or rubber compounds (neoprene). I use techwash to clean and tx-direct to add a bit of outer protection for gotetex, eVent, omnitech... 303 replenishes oils for rubber and kokatat recommends it for the gaskets but I've never seen it recommended for gortex. I wonder if the oils saturated the fabric and affected it somehow and that's what you are seeing.

I'm curious as to how kokatat responds to this one so keep us updated...

-Mr French
Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #7

., Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
...and 303 is good on plastics, again to replenish oils to prevent drying/cracking and UV resistance.
Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #8

cape may, New Jersey
Thank you for the info mr French. I used it one the gaskets and thought to myself a little on the shell wouldn't hurt... Hope I wasn't wrong on this one. I also sent NRS an email since I ordered the top from them. I'll defiantly keep this thread updated with my findings.
Old 02-15-2014   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I'll preface my comments with the fact that I don't know much about dry suits, but I do know a bit about waders; similar concept slightly different application. In you original post the pic on the right looks like a straight up pin hole leak. The pic on the left is strange, I'd wonder if it weren't a materials defect, but it could also be the start of some sort of mildew. I've had waders that looked like that, usually after a few years and in my case they were definitely mildew. It seems early in your case but if you've been in those a a lot and they weren't getting totally dry it's conceivable. Especially looking at the second set of pics. I'm not saying your a dirty bastard, it's just that the inside of dry gear is a prime place for funk to grow and it's possible that some sort of growth could short circuit the breathable membrane to allow a little moisture in, or simply collect interior moisture. I believe most companies have anti fungal compounds built into there gear so either way I'd be thinking warranty evaluation...
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #10
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Keep it clean

You say that you have had it for around 5 months. How many times have you cleaned it? GoreTex, eVent, and Neoshell need to be clean to stay dry. Your own body oils can draw water through the fabric and are often the cause for most waterproof breathables to fail. A clean jacket is a dry piece of gear. When in dought wash it with a techwash cleaner, then add a new coating of DWR to the outside to aid in keeping dirt from bonding to the fabric. Same goes for your ski and rain coats as well. Hope this helps.