Is a wetsuit required - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-12-2012   #1

Pea ridge, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2008
Is a wetsuit required

Is a wetsuit required fir winter floats? Anywhere to get one cheap?

ChrisReynolds21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Personally I would recommend a drysuit over a wetsuit....but I guess it depends on how cold you want to get, and what the weather is like in Arkansas. Drysuits are mandatory to boat in Colorado in the winter.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #3

SYOTR, Tennessee
Yes. At a minimum. Even then you have to pick the warmer, sunny winter days.
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Wetsuits are only good for warm still water, like scuba diving. Cold water scuba (like 50 degree water in monterrey) requires a min 7mm wetsuit which is too bulky for most boating activities

The theory behind a wetsuit is it allows a thin layer of water between you and the suit, which your body warms. The suit helps trap heat and thickness provides insulation

However, outside of the drink, a wetsuit will get wet and hold a lot of moisture instead of shedding it like a drysuit. Wind will cause evaporation, which loses heat at a rate considerably faster than contact with water alone

This is the reason if you are a diver it is best to get out of your wetsuit asap when you surface

General rule of thumb is to add air temp plus water temp and if its less than 130 degrees F you will need to protect yourself against hypothermia
Old 01-12-2012   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
You definately dont want to be chilled before even making direct contact with the water
Old 01-12-2012   #6

Columbus, Indiana
I use a farmer john and a dry top.....But I'm not in Colorado, and I don't kayak when it's sub freezing.

I wouldn't do a wetsuit at all. Seems like a waste for kayaking. You need to be dry atleast up top (taking temperature into consideration of course).
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
I see from from the login stuff the original post comes from Arkansas. Here is an actual story from that state, happened many years ago but still illustrates the original question's feedback requirement.

My take on wet suits (normally a farmer john style with either a dry top or paddle jacket) is gonna be ok for most Arkansas winter runs unless you take a swim.

Some years ago a group of us were on a January float of Arkansas Big Piney Creek. Either freezing air temps or close plus or minus. A bud took a standard swim out of his kayak. Probably between 5 and 10 minutes in the water. Farmer John, paddle jacket, wool sweater setup. Rest of us got him out and on the bank. He was most likely close to the critical stage of hypothermia. Unable to take care of himself. We did not know much EMT skill set, but we did know we had to get him dry and warm. Every one pulled out what spare clothing we had (Thankfully a couple of open boaters along!), others made a very fast big time white mans fire (Thankfully Arkansas has plenty of brush on most creeks) and we got him dried off and toasting by the fire. Took a while but he came around and we continued on with the float. We got lucky on this one.

My take on the Farmer John Paddle Jacket combo is it is fine for warmer temps and especially good if you swim in a rocky area. But if it is really cold (your choice of what is really cold) a long swim in a farmer john wetsuit / paddle jacket combo can be deadly. The cold water will get into the wetsuit and take away body heat super fast and the evaporation rate if you do get on dry land it is still gonna be cold.

Winter boating is where it's at on many Arkansas Creeks. Bottom line tho is you need to dress for the swim. Many of us consider a dry suit and fleece bunny suit more as winter safety gear than just comfort gear.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #8

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Watch ebay, mountain buzz, boatertalk and local Craigslist to find used wetsuits for good prices.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #9
Red Beard

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
As a former surfer.... Never, ever, EVER buy a used wetsuit. The chance that it was peed in it is extreamly high. That's how surfers stay warm on really cold days.
Tindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #10

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Stick with non surfer brand wetsuits (ie NRS).....I'd like to think most kayakers don't follow the lead of surfers, but buyer beware (or have a good nose).

Time to remind my kids that when kayaking they should:

1. never pee in the kayak
2. never pee in the wetsuit

I'll now add this to the list: 3. Don't buy used wetsuits from surfers.......
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote