Is a downriver kayak good for flatwater kayaking? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-23-2015   #1

Huntington, West Virginia
Is a downriver kayak good for flatwater kayaking?

Hello,

I found a SEDA Vertex in my area for very cheap. However I don't (currently) do whitewater paddling. Is a kayak like this going to be usefull for general flat water kayaking?

Thanks,
Justin

barnett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I was not able to find the vertex model so I might be off, but it does not appear Seda makes any whitewater boats. They seem to be mostly sea kayaks and canoe models.

As a general rule true whitewater kayaks are built to turn and can have a hard time holding a straight line in flat water. With that said, it works, just not optimal. Are you looking to train on flat water or just cruise around and get out on the water?

Sea kayaks usually work better than whitewater boats for flat water since they are longer and usually have skeg to hold a line better. If it is just flat water almost any boat will work, some might just offer a better experience depending on what you want.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015   #3

I'm taking a chance on the deal being sniped, but here is the craigslist post:
https://huntington.craigslist.org/boa/5357046118.html

From what I can tell this is an older model. Currently that company doesnt make a kayak under $2k, so this price seems like a deal. It sounds like it may be an option anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2015   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
That is a dowriver racing kayak, looks a lot like the wild water boats. They are designed to go fast down whitewater. From what I understand they can be hard to learn how to paddle/paddle effeciently. Not sure how it would do as a flat water boat but would be a cool one to have.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015   #5

NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
Looks like it has a rather large dent in the rear. Something else to consider... it doesn't look very comfortable for flat water boating.
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyswimmer View Post
Looks like it has a rather large dent in the rear. Something else to consider... it doesn't look very comfortable for flat water boating.
I believe what looks like a dent is actually where the "wings" are that allow the boat to meet the 24" minimum beam requirement for downriver racing. It is 14'9" long (the longest allowed for racing). It is pretty lightweight at 36lbs.

I just don't know about that hull shape for normal paddling. From what little I can find online it is a rounded v bottom. And I think it has little to no rocker. It may also weathercock a bit since it is taller than a normal kayak.

I can't find much info online at all about downriver boats in general, and almost nothing about people paddling them for anything other than racing.
Old 12-23-2015   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
USAWildwater.com News
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015   #8

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
I do not think this be a fun boat for recreational boating out on the lake.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Wildwater boats are comparable to a high end race bicycle, they are fast, unforgiving, and fragile. An expert level user is needed to appreciate the performance more than the difficulty of use. My buddy Homburg used to race wildwater and slalom, I've seen him run the top and upper yough in a wildwater boat. The boat can handle difficult whitewater, the question is can you handle the boat in that water. Lots of racers and rec wildwater racers train by attaining large sections of rivers then take the race lines back down.

Buy it, train, win the cheat race...or sell it at cheatfest is you hate it.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015   #10

Grand Junction, Colorado
meant to haul ass not comfy not forgiving easy to flip over and over and over dont bother with it I tried one down at a local pool season not what ud call user friendly unless ur fit for the job
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking