Introducing SuperStove! - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-28-2010   #1

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Introducing SuperStove!

No piece of equipment in my river camp draws as much attention as my camp kitchen. I had it custom built by Partner Steel Co. in Pocatello Idaho, and it is the only one in existence, as far as I know. In the raft, it looks just like a regular dry box. But open it up and install the legs, and voila! SuperStove!

All of my cookware and utencils are stored in the interior compartments.

The 4-burner Partner stove is mounted on the underside of the hinged lid of the dry box.

The stove cover flips up to make a windscreen.

When closed, the SuperStove has exactly the same dimensions as the dry box on the ground behind it. Anybody want some big, fluffy pancakes?

The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010   #2

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1991
Very Nice! Mind if I ask how much it weighs with all the stuff in it? and (meekly) how many greenbacks? And Two O Two is a great camp, huh?
Old 10-28-2010   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That is slick. is it ever problematic, that you can not close up the box and leave the stove out? That's the only drawback i see, other than always having to carry the kitchen. Always....

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010   #4

Oregon City, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by go big View Post
Very Nice! Mind if I ask how much it weighs with all the stuff in it? and (meekly) how many greenbacks? And Two O Two is a great camp, huh?
Ah, you recognized 202! Very good. How much does it weigh? I've never put it on the scales, but fully loaded it definitely is heavy. One person can lift it, but it's a real load. We always put two people on the task.

The cost. Hmm. I had this built in 1996, and I recall that Harvey Partner charged me about $500 for the stove and the box. Then I had the partitions done locally, to fit my gear, and that probably added another $100. The u-shaped legs (which, when removed from the box, slide together to make an oblong frame to carry the box on the raft) was made by TMS Frames for about another $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
is it ever problematic, that you can not close up the box and leave the stove out?
I think you're asking if I ever wish I could set up the stove without having to set up the whole kitchen. I guess that could happen if I wanted to do a hot lunch during a quick stop during the day, but I've never done it. It is possible to flip the lid open and use the stove while it is still on the raft, with the pantry box on its back. In 14 years, I've only done that one time--while the raft was still on the trailer and I wanted to make coffee to go with a cold breakfast on launch day.
Old 10-29-2010   #5
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
We have a partner stove. Ummm... not so fancy or heavy or big. It is a two burner and has a lid. Expensive, but very much worth it. Great stove and tough. I can carry it by myself with a beer in my other hand.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #6

Oregon City, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkonamojo View Post
We have a partner stove. Ummm... not so fancy or heavy or big. It is a two burner and has a lid. Expensive, but very much worth it. Great stove and tough. I can carry it by myself with a beer in my other hand.
When two of us carry SuperStove, we can each have a beer in the other hand, so that's double the beer. And remember, it is also the kitchen box.
Old 10-29-2010   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
NICE!!

Where did you find that super size Dutch Oven that doubles as a big group frying pan?

Same question on the table is that a custom table?

Looks like a super neat set up.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Rome combo fryer, no longer in production (last one made >2 years ago). molds broke, they won't replace them. I got one of the last ones a few years ago from Don Gleasons.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #9

Oregon City, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Where did you find that super size Dutch Oven that doubles as a big group frying pan? Same question on the table is that a custom table?
Yeah, I built the tables back in 1983 so that they nest into my raft frame and become the seating platforms. They are lightweight and a bit fragile, but treating them with care I've gotten 27 years of use out of them (with one new layer of Formica along the way).

As for the big skillet that I call the "three-handle cooker," I've had that for many years, too. A year ago I tried to find one to give as a Christmas gift and was unable to find them in the river catalogs or local stores. I contacted the manufacturer, who said that they had stopped making them, because their foundry was experiencing too many rejects in the castings. Rome Industries calls it the Super Cooker.

You might e-mail [email protected] and express your interest. He indicated that he would like to get them back on the market if there was enough demand. This subject was heavily discussed in an earlier thread https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...tml#post194023
Old 10-29-2010   #10

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Nice set-up The Mogur looks like you have your river kitchen wired.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, kitchen, stove