Interesting throwbag accessory... - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-08-2010   #1

Groveland, California
Interesting throwbag accessory...

Got an email about this thing last night, looks interesting.

Wild Water Supply | Snag Plate

Thought someone might find it useful......

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think they have a lot of applications, that one seems pretty slick. The only one I have seen comparable is this one:

PMI Crossline Reach Rope Retriever | For Pros in Rescue, Fire & Rope Access

Expensive and always thought it could inflict more damage if it ever became entangled with a person where the one you referenced does not seem as "pointy". Its amazing the leverage you can get if you get a second line attached to the primary. Especially noticed it helping as far as getting people/things to shore quickly. Wonder if fits all bags or just the larger standard ones that I see in their video....
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
It looks like it only fits larger bags. I would think they could make a smaller size. That would be a nice alternative to the 114 $ version.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010   #4

Groveland, California
I have played with the Crossline at a SWR class. It is a nice piece, and at a $114 probably a bargain considering the work that goes into one. Funny thing is that we were not allowed to use it in the water, only on land because they have a knack for getting wedged in underwater crevasses and lost (instructors having to cut the line as low as possible, come back at low water and attempt to retrieve them.) The thing that looks nice about the snag plate (besides the price) is that it is always in your bag should you need it...not another assembly to carry around.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #5

Placerville, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Throwbag Snag Plate

I've tried one out a few times and it works great! It gives a good bite on the rope that a plain throwbag can't. Its about 4" diameter and fits in my smaller kayak bag, won't work in the personal waist bag though.
I've heard many times you need two of the reach tools one to rescue the other. The plastic Snag Plate could be broken to release from getting stuck in rocks and at $25.00 not really that big of a deal. I've spent more money than that for a hat that I lost in the river!
Dave the wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
What do you think about making something like that? Just use a piece of 4" diameter pvc pipe and cut it with a jigsaw, or something similar. Looks simple enough.
Old 03-09-2010   #7

Placerville, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Snag Palte

Its actually more complicated than that, there's a cone in the middle and lots of cut outs. Watch you're fingers, you could spend $25.00 on bandaids! And its a lot stronger than pvc.
Dave the wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
For sure. Most things are more complicated then they seem. It doesn't seem worth having nine fingers for.
Old 03-10-2010   #9

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I got a chance to use these this weekend in a whitewater rescue class. Let me say that they are absolutely very cool and work very well. Thanks for posting the link so now I can order one!
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access, bag