Tentipi: Hekla fire boxes

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011   #2
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Thanks Shapp. I really like it. Only problem may be size. The Kekla 30, which they call big, is about a foot wide and a foot 1/2 long. Good for small fires though. Man, this would be a GREAT new product tho - - a lightweight firepan that folds down compact.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #3

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
w/o legs i don't think that thing would meet requirements in alot of places.
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011   #4

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
shapp, great link! that site has all kinda cool stuff. Didn;t you get a tipi from them last year?

as far as firepans go i like this one (of course you'd need a barge to haul it in) and it has legs!
Old 11-30-2011   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It does have legs, although they look short. You can see them in their folded out position on the sticks so they don't sink into the snow. The only regulation on height I've seen is for Dinosaur (there are probably others) and it's 4" off the ground, plus a fire blanket. These legs might do that.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
When you read the "more information" part of the ad, it talks about there being many holes in the bottom of the firebox for good ventilation/air flow for the fire. Not sure if this would pass muster as a fire pan ???? I like the fold-up aspect.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
While it may not meet regs at several rivers, the idea is what is more intriguing, the 30 is 20" x 12.6" nearly the same as a Partner Mini, but appears to fold much more compact. It would be easy to actually produce one with removable legs that meet any requirement as well as reduce the holes in the bottom if they are actualy there. Mostly I think it is interesting for kayak self support which I am increasingly interested in doing more of.
Old 12-02-2011   #8

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
It appears to be made of sheet metal. I don't see where it specifies the guage of the metal, but I'd be concerned that lightweight sheet metal would warp and/or burn through. And if it really does have vent holes in the bottom, it is useless as a fire pan.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #9
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Possible warping/burn through is a valid concern. But these things appear to be sold to true nordics, where mild temps are just a few degrees below zero. The metal has crease-lines in it, and the ends are not welded, so remain free for expansion. I bet they hold up. But if they are bottom-vented, n/g. I've seen old sheepherder stoves made similarly and they will last. If only used a few times per season, I'd love to see someone build something similar for river use. The compact, lightweight features are what attract me. Getting lazy I guess. Don't like to carry tons of "iron" around anymore!
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mogur View Post
It appears to be made of sheet metal. I don't see where it specifies the guage of the metal, but I'd be concerned that lightweight sheet metal would warp and/or burn through. And if it really does have vent holes in the bottom, it is useless as a fire pan.
Its the idea of a good collapsibe fire pan that is of interest, a red flyer aint going to fit in my kayak yo!