Inspired by Chip, I'm building a cat frame - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-19-2010   #1
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Inspired by Chip, I'm building a cat frame

I've looked at what has been posted here and on other threads and now I have placed an order for a bunch of hollaender elbows and aluminum schedule 40 1" ID tubing. I'm designing a frame to fit around a Yeti Sherpa 100 cooler. Fancy bendy parts from Sid's ( who was very helpful and enthusiastic). I'll be employing a decent amount of Polymax kennel flooring as well.

Only hangup - looking for sweet oar towers like Chip's. NRS/Clavey/Rowframe options are all for larger diameter frame tubing. For some reason I'm turned off by the octagonal steel towers at Cascade but they will do if there are no other options. Anyone???

This is all your fault, Chip.

BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010   #2

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
make sure you use 6061 for the stuff you don't want to bend. 1" tubing imo is small I would have went with the 1 1/4 to use standard NRS stuff (like towers, seatbar or footbar)

you can use the hollaender offset cross but your buddy is going to have to weld you a custom pipe that is designed for the oarlocks ... again not sure about the 1" tubing.

I made a frame using 3/4" and the hollaender fittings but this is just for a paddle cat so there is no oar towers. otherwise its held up fine ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010   #3
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Considered the Hollaender offset cross:

No. 12 - Crosses and Crossovers - Short Barrel Cross

but I'm creating a double rail design and would like to tie both rails together with a small platform of plywood and mount oar towers from that. I'm hoping that will give more strength, also.

Definitely going to be using dowels inside the aluminum tubing at intersections and where u-bolts will clamp on. Thought I might slide them in there with some silicone to seal them in place.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010   #4

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Got your PM- sorry I can't remember where those old black steel buggers came from.

You could always build a pair, like these out of aluminum from a scrapyard. Just extend the bases to the width of your double rail setup.

Because the u-bolts will squash 1 " steel tubing (thin walls) and probably schedule 40 aluminum as well, I went to schedule 80 aluminum for the two siderails on the single rail catframe I built last spring. They don't need to be as tight on a double-rail frame, but keep an eye on it while you snug them down.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #5

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmfnL View Post
I've looked at what has been posted here and on other threads and now I have placed an order for a bunch of hollaender elbows and aluminum schedule 40 1" ID tubing. I'm designing a frame to fit around a Yeti Sherpa 100 cooler. Fancy bendy parts from Sid's ( who was very helpful and enthusiastic). I'll be employing a decent amount of Polymax kennel flooring as well.

Only hangup - looking for sweet oar towers like Chip's. NRS/Clavey/Rowframe options are all for larger diameter frame tubing. For some reason I'm turned off by the octagonal steel towers at Cascade but they will do if there are no other options. Anyone???

This is all your fault, Chip.
The oar tower bushing is 0.625" diameter x 2.75" long. Just make or buy the bushing and weld it on. Aluminum 6061 works well.

The 1" nps (1.31" o.d.) pipe is fine properly designed in 6061. Limit the torque on your set screws to the recommended value. If you dent the pipe more than 0.020 something is wrong.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, cataraft, frame, oar towers