Inland Marine Top Side Paint - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-20-2011   #1

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Inland Marine Top Side Paint

Has anyone used this product to coat their raft or know of anyone who has?

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011   #2

Prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
I used it to put boat names on our IK's, but that's it. Seems like good, durable stuff. I read up on it a while ago before I bought a can and it was well-recommended. Not cheap, but it might be a good option for painting a wear patch on... If you're thinking about it for raft restoration, consider replacement options with a good used raft as well, however.
rising.sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #3

thornton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rising.sun View Post
I used it to put boat names on our IK's, but that's it. Seems like good, durable stuff. I read up on it a while ago before I bought a can and it was well-recommended. Not cheap, but it might be a good option for painting a wear patch on... If you're thinking about it for raft restoration, consider replacement options with a good used raft as well, however.
I purchased two 18 ft. military rafts with 26 in. tubes that were stored inside when not in use. There condition is very good. I just want to put a full face lift on them. (red, blue or yellow). This project has been going on for over two years now. Do you think Inland Top Side Paint would work for this. These boats weight over 400 lb. each and are built liike a tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I was a yacht captain for a few years. I've used this or similar products on inflatable dingies. Its fine for lettering, which is what it is designed for. If you are thinking of coating an entire boat for the purpose of better aesthetics I think you will be unhappy. It wears off fairly easily, it does crack and warp a bit. You won't get a smooth, rubbery finish from products like this. If you've seen lettering that looks great and are thinking that this will look the same if coated all over, it won't.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #5

Prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
I would recommend checking with the manufacturer and get some advice from them:
Inland Marine - Home

As I said, my use has been limited, but they speak highly of their product.

Thay also make the liquid rubber product:
Boat Protectant Liquid Rubber Inflatable Boat Care Hypalon
rising.sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #6

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
the lower link rising.sun just posted is exactly right. Look at the before and after pics, that is definitely what you can expect. But if you go with the paint, it won't be as durable, and will be a lower gloss.

If you have damage that isn't quite so bad as in the pics on that link, and its something that amounts to oxidation (dusty dry rubber), and 303 type stuff is out, try a regular car wax. We would need to reapply monthly, but that was in continuous exposure to the hot Caribbean sun. The inland marine company sells something for that, but I'd go to Walmart instead, just heed their no petrol products warning.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #7

thornton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rising.sun View Post
I would recommend checking with the manufacturer and get some advice from them:
Inland Marine - Home

As I said, my use has been limited, but they speak highly of their product.

Thay also make the liquid rubber product:
Boat Protectant Liquid Rubber Inflatable Boat Care Hypalon
Thank you for those links. Looks like I use the liquid rubber first than apply the Top coat paint in the color that I want. I only paid 100$ each for the rafts, so to sink a few hundred dollars in each boat to enhance the looks and add an extra layer of protection is worth the price. This has been and on going project for me, I hope to finish them this year.
Old 02-20-2011   #8

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I've used the liquid rubber on hypalon with success. Not 100% certain of long term durability over several years. Needs warm temp and several DAYS up to a WEEK to cure so keep that in mind if you try it
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011   #9
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
DIB rafts sells a hypalon paint for $89 a gallon, in 7 colors. This is what they use on all their boats that are not black. If you have any questions about it call them. I talked to the owner Mimi today and she was extremely knowledgable and helpful. I have an avon that has a little dry rot and just looks plain ugly. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what to use on it and I think I am going to try this stuff
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote