inflatable customization - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-05-2012   #1

My Truck, United States
Paddling Since: 2010
inflatable customization

hello all,

I'm interested in customizing my inflatable kayak (innova K1).

I have been able to find numerous stores with d-rings available for buying but none with anything else. Does anyone know of any online stores that sell anything other than d-rings. (one thing i'm looking for in particular is an elongated hypalon patch that's topped with a row of grommets for attaching seats and leg straps).

If no one knows where to acquire these types of things, has anyone tried building them? My question is whether i can get buy without an industrial sewing machine, or if glue itself will do the trick.

dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I tried putting D rings on an IK and they pretty much all pulled out. If you're not handy with glue and/or not willing to fight with figuring that out, I'd just throw it over to your local raft repair business. They'll probably charge you $20-$30 per ring installed, but that includes the ring, the expensive bucket of glue you don't have to buy, the acetone headache, etc. My $.02.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If you don't have inflatable repair experience, I second El Flaco's suggestion. Contact Innova and find out what repair facilities they have in your area. That local repair shop probably has tons of ideas on how you can modify your boat.

I'd like to try an Innova like that. It's nice that they add the thwart for your feet. This is probably way better than the foot pegs most manufacturers are using lately.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012   #4

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I think I saw gromet strips on Hysides web site sold by the foot
fishnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #5

My Truck, United States
thanks the the ideas guys, i'm looking into hysides grommet strips to see what kind of material they are and i'll e-mail innova to see who i can get to work on the "Big Red Rocket"
Old 01-06-2012   #6

aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1957
i can teach you how to customize...leave some way to contact you..via..phone....i..am the master of duckies
ducksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #7

aspen, Colorado
i will help all with duckies
Old 01-06-2012   #8

My Truck, United States
Hey Ducks, how can i send you a private message? i dont want to paste my phone number on a public forum. BTW nice shot of that IK waterfall run, badass in-fact.
Old 01-06-2012   #9

aspen, Colorado
drop..me an e mail wih phone #
[email protected]
Old 01-09-2012   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Man the outfitting on Innovas sucks ! I like their material for compactness and durability and their effort to make a decked inflatable,but the rigging especially the thigh straps is downright worthless.I bought a Safari years ago thinking the lighter more compact duck would be good for travel. I am way too big for the boat, that is my fault. I weighed 10 lbs. over the recommended capacity and figured that wouldn't matter much and I might lose a few pounds.Wrong,unlike an Aire Lynx which the specs say holds 350 lbs. and we've paddled short distances with 3 people and gear so apx.700 lbs ., the Safari barely supports the specified 220. You back ender out of most pour overs and can't move the seat forward.The thigh straps are worthless for trying to boof over holes/off ledges even if they didn't tear out of the pitiful stitching the 1ST TIME YOU USE THE BOAT !!! sorry wasted money equal extra exclamation points years later... I should have sent it back ,the guy/rep was nice enough he probably would have treated me fair.I thought i would just customize it,but never have. I have 2 other duckies and a kayak that i use plus 2 cheap ducks and an old tank kayak i don't use,so no urgency to customize.

I am surprised that d-rings didn't work for you Flaco,seems like with the quality glue compatible with hypalon/or pvc and a d-rings with enough surface area it should hold.Maybe spread out the load with more rings.For gear it should for sure work. Seats, footbraces,and thigh straps can get stressed pretty well.

Randaddy ,you ever use the slide track side pegs Aire sells ?They are awesome IMO.I like the kind in the Force too,better than any kayak bulkhead for shock absorption.Any kind that tie in tend to be a pain in the ass to adjust and keep even .

Dipper ,
Does that have an inflatable floor?Innova's marketing says it's weight capacity is only 220 lbs. If it is 11FT long 39" with 12"tubes that can't possibly be right unless it is just fabric with bailing holes. Speaking of bailing holes,one modification i did to the Safari was to enlarge and add bailing holes with a punch,risky but worked well.I did it under the guidance of a raft repair expert,i wouldn't do it without consulting a professional. They may have redesigned that problem anyway.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote