Inexpensive Non Slip Deck Material - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-21-2010   #1

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Inexpensive Non Slip Deck Material

I've been playing around with pressure treated plywood decking covered with med weight glass cloth and epoxy resin. An hour after application of a second coat of resin, I used a salt shaker to apply a coating of white 40grit silica sand atop the deck....about a teaspoon per square foot. This is the best nonskid decking that is dirt cheap to make and perfect for raft building home-boys. Good winter project.

garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Do you have pictures of the set-up? more specifically the med weight glass cloth and epoxy resin. Where do you get that? I'm hoping to get something like this going in my boat. Thanks!
River Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
I did the exact same thing to the decking of my trailer. Marine epoxy isn't cheap but it makes a pretty nice finished product. Just make sure you paint it because it's not UV resistant and will break down over time.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010   #4

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Malt View Post
Do you have pictures of the set-up? more specifically the med weight glass cloth and epoxy resin. Where do you get that? I'm hoping to get something like this going in my boat. Thanks!
I can't vouch for the uv resistance yet.... Nor does my frame get more that 4 weeks in the sun every year. I bought the epoxy and cloth by the gallon off the web from a place called Tap Plastics. The epoxy is odorless for indoors but there are less expensive polyester resins that would suffice. I'll post photos this evening. One thing though, I couldn't get the cloth to wrap the edges of the plywood. I trimmed it up with a bastard file and coated the edges with a brush.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #5

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
anti-skid tape

For the less industrious among us, the link below is to some reasonably priced anti-skid tape. I bought a roll of this type of tape from a marine shop long ago and if the stuff below is half as good it will outlast your marine plywood. This is the type of stuff used on motor boats, tractors, etc. and it is bomber. Just peel off the backing and apply.

Hydraulic Cylinder Components, Products
Ever_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote