I'm the fat guy on the right. - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-29-2011   #1

little rock, Arkansas
I'm the fat guy on the right.

I have to replace a couple of D rings on the raft and tweak some of the rigging, but I'm happy with how it turned out. The pipe is 1 1/4" EMT. I might end up redoing it with bigger pipe, but I think it's fine for now. The front box came from Home Depot and the rear box (which I already had) came from Lowes. They're injection molded, very sturdy, and cheap. They're sitting on the cross members. I'll strap them down for trips. The 120 quart cooler is on an NRS cooler mount. I put an NRS gear platform up front for bags, water jugs, etc. and will throw straps and a gear net over the pile. I ordered everything from Darren at Frontier Play. He was very helpful and the transaction went smoothly. He also saved me some green. Can't wait to get the D rings replaced and try 'er out. Shooting for President's Day weekend.
Attached Images

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hard to see much in the tiney pictures, but why are you running that cooler so high? I'm sure it's not, but it looks like a knuckle banger from my angle.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #3

little rock, Arkansas
I thought I'd try it up there to give the passengers a little back rest. You may be 100% right. If so, that's the cool thing about the cooler mount. 45 seconds and it's lower. Thanks for the input. Glad to get all I can since this is all very new to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011   #4

Evergreen, Colorado
Got a link to the boxes you got from Home Depot and Lowes? I can't see what they look like from your pictures...
gwheyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #5

little rock, Arkansas
Here ya go. 45 Gallon PowerPacker - 44022 at The Home Depot
At my local big orange supply house they tried to tell me they didn't have any. I was polite but persistent and we finally determined they were back by the tile flooring. Don't ask me why. So, if you can't find them at your Depot check back there before giving up. Here's the other box. http://www.gemplers.com/product/1737...&ci_sku=173720 I did get it at Lowes, but that was several years ago and I don't see it on their website now. You should be able to find it locally though. I finally realized what Dave was saying about the cooler height and lowered it. Too bad for my passengers, but it will make a nice little on the water table for me.
Old 01-30-2011   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Usually we can click on photos, and blow them up. Do you have a thwart in the raft still? Usually thwarts come out when you put a frame on, since they serve the same purpose (maybe it doesn't come out? There have been some threads on removing thwarts that don't obviously come out). Backrests on rafts can be as simple as Crazy Creeks, but people just don't seem to use or need them.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #7

little rock, Arkansas
It has one lace-in thwart, which I removed, but the one in front doesn't come out. I sat up there earlier and it seems fine as is. It will be a good fly fishing platform in calm water too. I have one Crazy Creek I'll probably let passengers fight over. I'll try and post some better pics this week. There was beer........
Old 01-30-2011   #8

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I was on Westwater with some oldtimers that left there stern thwart in for Buoyancy in big water. I've never thought of that I always need all the room I can get but I think it looks like a fine rig.
Old 01-30-2011   #9

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Looks like a nice job, I dig the home crafted stuff. I bet with the right weatherstripping those boxes would stay pretty dry.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttodd View Post
Looks like a nice job, I dig the home crafted stuff. I bet with the right weatherstripping those boxes would stay pretty dry.
I used this contico box-

Shop CONTICO SUV Tuff Bin/Utility Box at Lowes.com

I got it at lowes for $35. its a great size for rafts. I cut the front of the box with a dremel so it sits flat on the rails (like dry box tabs) and trimmed off the little tabs inside the lid so I could fit the lid with foam weatherstripping. Never flipped, but perfectly dry from several whitewater trips. there is no latch but a couple of straps hold it down tight.

don't have any good pics of the box right now, but you can see the setup in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSC_0095.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	3178  
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote