IK-tributary tomcat tandem-how good for $600 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2012   #1

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
IK-tributary tomcat tandem-how good for $600

I am going on a Deso and San Juan trip with the family this year and want to keep the kids happy with a ducky but don't want to spend the 1500 for the top line units. The tributary tomcat seems to have a new model and the old ones are going for about 600. Any feedback about it. It would also get used on daytrips to the Poudre and Ark.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
the tomcat is a great boat. pvc shell with an inflatable liner tube.
a little heavy, but durable and a great value for the price.
we have a bunch in our demo fleet and rent them out at a steady pace all summer. they can take a beating and keep on running.
great for class II and III, maybe somewhat sluggish an anything beyond that.
ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012   #3

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
We have one that we are ready to sell. <10 days use, new out of the box last year. $500, includes paddle.

Solid IK, good value. I expected that we would own it forever, but my GF just bought cat tubes & wants to buy a frame, oars, etc.......

PM me if interested, goes up on gear swap here & local craigslist on monday.
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012   #4

Helena, Montana
Sorry, misread. We have a solo for sale.
Old 02-26-2012   #5

boulder, Colorado
They are now selling the solo for $463 brand new, without the paddle. I think they are trying to unload the last years model. I can't tell what the difference is but it must be something if they are discounting them by 25%. You should wait till they sell out of the old ones and then sell yours.
Old 02-26-2012   #6

Helena, Montana
This news displeases me...
Old 02-26-2012   #7

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
I think the Tomcat is a great IK for the price, esp the current sale price. Even though it only has a 1 year warranty, it will easily last 5-10+ years with care, probably longer. If you want peace of mind with a 10 year warranty and boat that will easily last 20+ years, go with the higher end kayaks (Lynx, etc).

It looks like they're going back to the basic thwart seatback for 2012, whereas the 2011 has the Cheetah chair. Makes me wonder what else is different for 2012.

Depending on the age/size/abilities of your kids, as well as how you envision using the kayak, the tandem may be great or you may be better off with one or two singles, or even a TomCat LV. I picked up a TomCat LV since my youngest boy (6) was too big to ride in the front of a single with me but not big enough to control a single very well himself in class II/III. For us it's worked out better to have multiple single IK's versus a tandem and it provides great flexibility. That said, we primarily run class II/III day trips.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #8

Woodland Park, Colorado
I agree with Fatman Z. The single tomcat is a way better setup for a variety of age kids. When I put the young ones in it I move the seat farther to the back and rig a front thwart type seat for the little guys.

Other wise I let my 13 year old just paddle a single by himself. These are great for II/III. The best part of them is to be able to let the kids paddle separate from our raft on the long flat stretches.

I have also taken my tomcat down III+. Doable, but not great for the harder stuff. Foot pegs and thigh straps make a huge difference.
JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
anyone had problems with the vinyl bladders in the tomcats?
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012   #10

Helena, Montana
Ours has been bomber, but its only a year old.