IK Stillwater Canyon trip gear planning - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-18-2018   #1
westernCOboater

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
IK Stillwater Canyon trip gear planning

Gearing up for a 7 day flatwater trip this Mid-October in Still water Canyon on the Green River.
I've done multi-day raft trips but need help with my first IK trip. Will be using a Tomcat Duo IK. Required gear and trip easing suggestions please.

westernCOboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Here are some websites with suggested reading:

https://www.riversports.com/self-sup...king-a-how-to/

How-To Pack for a Self-Support |

https://www.canoekayak.com/whitewate...rt-kayak-trip/

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/...-id-57275.html
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018   #3

reno, California
Its a great trip!
I would suggest thinking about canoes. Much less work and more time for hiking and relaxing.
IKs are just not that great on flat low flow water.
I have done Labyrinth and or Stillwater every year for the past 11 years.
Numerous times have encountered various inflatable crafts lamenting not having canoes.
An ik trip would be fine but think about canoes.
Enjoy.
roro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
Its a great trip!
I would suggest thinking about canoes. Much less work and more time for hiking and relaxing.
IKs are just not that great on flat low flow water.
I have done Labyrinth and or Stillwater every year for the past 11 years.
Numerous times have encountered various inflatable crafts lamenting not having canoes.
An ik trip would be fine but think about canoes.
Enjoy.
Or a sea kayak.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Touring kayak

I've done the Green & the Colorado through Canyonlands Nat. Park many times. I use a SOT touring kayak. I've had touring kayaks, canoes & inflatables on my trips. The inflatables did ok, but they struggle more with wind & speed. Certainly doable, just a bit more work.

Do you have your park permit already? The permit info will give you all your required gear. Have you booked your jet boat shuttle? I always use Tex's Riverways. They do a great job, and if I remember right, they may be the only shuttle service still operating????

I have always used a Turbo Toilet with Wag bags. The used wag bags are transported out in a dedicated heavy duty dry bag. The Turbo Toilet folds down nice & flat to fit inside my kayak. It holds a wag bag nicely & is comfortable to use, even for me with bad knees.

We have always carried our own water on all the trips I've done. We do carry a collapsible bucket, alum, and a filter just in case. It does add extra weight at the start, but well worth it not to have to settle & filter for me.

The last trip, I used a Fat Daddios anodized aluminum 12 inch diameter cake pan as my required fire pan. Coupled with a fire blanket, it was a functional & light weight system.

Paddle early in the day to avoid wind. Afternoon winds in the canyons can be a real bitch. Have fun. It's beautiful down there!
Old 09-24-2018   #6

Fort Collins
I did labyrinth this summer with a mixed group of duckies and canoes. As stated, the canoes have the ability to be faster/more efficent. The duckies were easier to get in and out of in the heat of the day. I do strongly recommend adding fins/skegs to your duckies though. They make a huge diffference in how well you'll be able to maintain your forward momentum, without spinning out. I like the NRS fin plate kit and fins that they sell for SUPs. I use 9" fins on tandem duckies and the 5" fins on the solos, and that seemed to work well. There were just a few places where we hit sand bars and had to lift them accross them.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 09-25-2018   #7
westernCOboater

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
Ok, canoes it is. Next question: 58000 BTU blaster for coffee and dish water. What size propane tank and where do I get one? 1 gallon ok? Like to get a spliter and run a Coleman 2 burner stove as well.
westernCOboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018   #8

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
A blaster on a ducky trip? Seems bit excessive to me unless you have an army of people along
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote