IK question... - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-04-2016   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
IK question...

I am deciding on getting a second larger IK to complement my Sevy sK 100. Am trying to decide between a Tomcat solo and a Zoik Big Ego [the tandem version]. The Tomcat is a little cheaper by about 60$ but the Zoik has a dropstitch floor. I have not seen many reviews re the Zoik IK and would appreciate some real life info on this boat. I am not looking at the Zoik solo as this is about the same size as my Sevy. I would like to pull the trigger on this purchase in time for runoff.

Thanks in advance for your info.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016   #2

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
From what I've seen zoik tries to be a multi use boat, similar to sea eagle. I own an older sea eagle explorer, their whitewater and other use boat. I also own a solo tomcat. My SE has a drop stitch floor. Love the tomcat. Handles much better aND is much more of a whitewater boat. Having looked at the zoik online and my personal experiences with both of my boats, I'd go for the tomcat everyday.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016   #3
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I'd get the Tomcat. Even the cheaper line of Aires is better than a lot of other IK's. I wouldn't get hung up on the Dropstitch floor, I've had a Jumbo Canyon IK with a DS floor and didn't think it added much rigidity. Tribs are plenty stiff with a good floor design/ transition that can easily be serviced, and the Aire warranty is hard to beat.
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016   #4

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
My experience with an older model Zoik is that the self-bailing cannot keep up with heavy white water. The newer models look like they have more drainage holes.

Aire/Tributary are tough to beat.
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #5

Enfield, New Hampshire
I ordered the Tomcat based on the suggestions I got here. Has anyone used a folding type camp chair like the Crazy Creek chair available at REI type stores for giving a better back support in addition to that inflatable back rest that AIRE now provides in the Tomcat? Any other ideas along these lines?
Old 02-08-2016   #6
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
get aire's cheetah chair. infinitely better than the little backrest deal.
Old 02-08-2016   #7

Enfield, New Hampshire
Also if you go to amazon and look under sit on top kayak chairs there is a whole bunch of options which are somewhat cheaper and may work as well.
Old 02-08-2016   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
For what it is worth. I am a life long hard shell kayaker now switching over to IK's due to injuries.

Got an Aire Outfitter with the hot dog Cheeta Chair. While that chair design is great for setting around a campfire, I have not been able to adjust it to get the kind of low back support I need to paddle my IK in real WW. This fall I did a trip back east and boated with a couple other long time IK paddlers who boat all winter on some serious WW back east. They both have the Aire optional seat that looks like a square block. I sat in theirs and could get the support I need. Ordered one, installed it and like it. No chance yet for me to paddle it, probably wait till spring. But that may be the seat I have been looking for in order to get solid back support. Bottom line if you can find a local Aire Dealer set in both designs.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #9

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I use a Crazy Creek chair. Works very well for me. The thigh straps going through the chair's side strap openings keep it in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMM View Post
I ordered the Tomcat based on the suggestions I got here. Has anyone used a folding type camp chair like the Crazy Creek chair available at REI type stores for giving a better back support in addition to that inflatable back rest that AIRE now provides in the Tomcat? Any other ideas along these lines?
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016   #10

modesto, California
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
For what it is worth. I am a life long hard shell kayaker now switching over to IK's due to injuries.

Got an Aire Outfitter with the hot dog Cheeta Chair. While that chair design is great for setting around a campfire, I have not been able to adjust it to get the kind of low back support I need to paddle my IK in real WW. This fall I did a trip back east and boated with a couple other long time IK paddlers who boat all winter on some serious WW back east. They both have the Aire optional seat that looks like a square block. I sat in theirs and could get the support I need. Ordered one, installed it and like it. No chance yet for me to paddle it, probably wait till spring. But that may be the seat I have been looking for in order to get solid back support. Bottom line if you can find a local Aire Dealer set in both designs.
Was it this seat? Kayak Thwart Seat | AIRE
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote