IK paddle size input needed - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-14-2011   #1

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
IK paddle size input needed

I'm not a kayaker, so I have no idea what I'm doing here. Just bought a Tomcat Solo IK for my special lady friend, and need to get her a paddle. She is 5'6" and a novice paddler (she has had a few lessons and is getting better at reading water as she plays gilligan on my boat).

Any and all advice appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
With the Tomcat and her height I'd recommend 200-210 cm for the paddle. Check out Aqua Bound paddles for an affordable fiberglass paddle. My lady's biggest beef with her duck paddle was the weight of it, those aluminum 220-230cm monsters can give you quite a workout!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #3

Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You mean Ginger? Kinda wierd for a "special lady friend" to be playing a dorky guy, but you are in Montucky..... I get the initial idea, just had to talk a little smack.
My brother has a tandem Tomcat and when I take my little niece down II and easy III, I use my old 197cm kayak paddle and it works just fine. I think with other duckies that have larger tubes, this might be too short.
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011   #4

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
HA

girlfriend sounds too jr high, so i thought i'd classy it up a bit!

thanks for the advice randy & powda, much appreciated.

NEXT QUESTION-is a back up/breakdown paddle a must have or overkill? like I said, i'm not a kayaker....
Old 07-14-2011   #5

Sawyer paddle

I just got a sweet sawyer IK paddle. They are super beefy and fun to paddle. They retail for $150 and are well worth the money. Call sawyer and they will give you all the details.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #6

Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
NRS and other websites seem to think that you need a long paddle for an IK. I listened to their advice for my first paddle and I find it is too long. I would go for the short side of their estimates. I'm 6'4" and use a 220 on my tomcat now and it works great.
hand8272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sports Authority has a 220 cm knock off of the carlisle Magic paddle for $29. My buddy bought it for his tomcat. I have used it a bunch and its as good as my magic paddle. he has pushed off a few rocks with it hasn't busted yet, and it can always be a spare if you want to upgrade. duckies don't need fancy paddles.

LIFETIME Lite Elite Sport Kayak Paddle - SportsAuthority.com
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
I'm not a kayaker, so I have no idea what I'm doing here. Just bought a Tomcat Solo IK for my special lady friend, and need to get her a paddle. She is 5'6" and a novice paddler (she has had a few lessons and is getting better at reading water as she plays gilligan on my boat).

Any and all advice appreciated.
I wouldn't go any bigger than 200 unless she'll be touring on flat water. At 5.6 I'd say between 190 and 200 depending on how she likes the fit. The really long sea kayak style paddles in the 210 range are for low angle paddling on flat(ish) water. If you're doing moving water and want to get up into the class II/III level then a shorter, one piece is the way to go. The recreational werner paddles tend to be rather good for inflatables. I used a Rio FG IM 197 in my IK and I'm 6', 170.
Old 07-14-2011   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
NEXT QUESTION-is a back up/breakdown paddle a must have or overkill? like I said, i'm not a kayaker....
On multiday trips with raft support, I bring an extra (in the raft) -- Dinosaur NM regs -- have not had to use it -- yet! I can imagine scenarios where I would want one handier than in the raft. On shorter trips, I don't bring a spare, but that's probably not the best idea -- you never know when you could get separated from your paddle -- especially if alone with nobody to chase it for you! I may try to find a cheap one this season. If you two are usually paddling together, maybe one spare between you would be a good idea. Lately someone suggested hand paddles as spares in kayaks. If your regular paddles are 2-piece, you could just split the remaining one and paddle canoe-style to the takeout. Just a few thoughts.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote