IK for all-purpose Colorado boat... - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-30-2015   #1

Monte Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
IK for all-purpose Colorado boat...

Howdy all,

I was looking at rafts for the last few weeks and have, for reasons beyond my control (wives...purse strings...) I am having to look into some possible alternatives. For above stated reasons, I am now looking at some IKs or mini-cats for Colorado that meet the following criteria.

-To be used mostly on the Rio Grande, Animas, Yampa, Colorado, and similar other rivers of Colorado, as well as still water all over the state.
-I will be going mostly solo, but would like the option of taking another person with, provided it still meant the IK/mini-cat was manageable when I am paddling solo. In all likelyhood, 75% of my trips will be solo (but with a group).
-The highest class I would "hit" would likely be III/IV, but only to get through to the fishing, not to "play" in.
-Primary focus would be fishing or just fun casual floats with friends. Again, I would go through some III/IV, but to get to a bit more causal water to float and fish.
-The longest float I would intend to do would be two days and two nights and that would be once in a blue moon
-I am a relative noob, as you have likely noticed but probably improper lingo and terminology up to this point

So, that is my basic framework. Budget is around $2000 fully outfitter and yes I am one of those people who generally buys his toys new. Am I better off getting a better solo IK/mini-cat or is there a hybrid that could do well as both a solo and with a fishing partner?

So, recommendations, or was there some detail I missed that would enable better feedback?

Thanks in advance all!

SLVCampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015   #2

Cave Creek, Arizona
http://aire.com/aire-kayak/lynx-series.asp

http://aire.com/aire-kayak/outfitter-series.asp
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #3

Cave Creek, Arizona
If you want something more versatile

http://aire.com/aire-cataraft/sabertooth.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015   #4

Cave Creek, Arizona
Here is a great deal on a Sabertooth!

Aire Sabertooth Demo w/ extra thwart - Salida - CO - General - Show Ad Riverboat Works
Old 06-30-2015   #5

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I love my tomcat tandem. At 12'9" you can easily put 2 people in it or enough equipment for overnighters. I think they're rated for 500 lbs. They roll up easily enough to put in the trunk of any car, which makes shuttling that much easier. Half the price of the Aire, but still the same company. Tributaries are made in China. If you look around you should find one in the $500 range used. I started out on mini cats, and they are a blast!!! Can't put 2 people on one though, and they don't carry as much weight as the tomcat unless you go up in size. They dont break down as small as the tomcat because of the frame, however I could fit 2 mini cats in the back of a 4 runner.
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015   #6

Monte Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I have a raft trailer already built, so size isn't exactly an issue.

What would you recommend in a mini-cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
I love my tomcat tandem. At 12'9" you can easily put 2 people in it or enough equipment for overnighters. I think they're rated for 500 lbs. They roll up easily enough to put in the trunk of any car, which makes shuttling that much easier. Half the price of the Aire, but still the same company. Tributaries are made in China. If you look around you should find one in the $500 range used. I started out on mini cats, and they are a blast!!! Can't put 2 people on one though, and they don't carry as much weight as the tomcat unless you go up in size. They dont break down as small as the tomcat because of the frame, however I could fit 2 mini cats in the back of a 4 runner.
SLVCampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #7

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
I just picked up an 8' fishcat on Craigslist to run some creeks and try to get into fishing. I love it! I think 13' is the minimum size for two seats. Easy to keep the tubes rolled up and stored in a tote, I hang the frame from the garage ceiling. My wife also didn't want any more boats, frames, oars in the house with the new baby. Good luck
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Another great thread for an IK forum...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote